Pub beer/Kit beer taste alike list

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a prompt from Mr T I'm starting this list of kits that taste close to pub bought beers. These are the only kits that I've made any comments about reminding me of a commercial beer.
And in answer to anyone who feels the need to chime in about why don't you do a proper mash/boil brew? I have/do brew from grain and openly admit that the results are far superior to kit beers. However, that is not the point of this thread. Feel free to add to the list.
So here we go...........

Youngs American IPA=Devils Backbone American IPA

Festival Razorback IPA=Devils Backbone American IPA

Mangrove Jack's Grapefruit IPA=Belhaven Twisted grapefruit IPA

Festival American IPA=Thornbridge Jaipur (original recipe)

Cheers Tom

Great start to a very useful thread please add your kit brews and thoughts of which beers they are based on or similar to

I got very excited when I saw Wherry on cask at my local!
I'm really happy Wherry is still popular. It was one of my favourite at my local after I finished university. It's been around for a long time and I wouldn't have been surprised that a low alcohol ale would have suffered over the last 10-20 years as popular tastes have moved on to stronger and hoppier beers

Was it on cask Sandimas as most beers taste different to keg beers. My new handpull beer(yeah just got one after years of meaning to)tastes different to the keg version

It's not, the two are quite different, to my taste anyway: prefer the kit, when I found the real thing in a London pub it was a real disappointment.

It's one of those subjective things, taste. There are so many variables to take into account not least previous substance to be consumed. Whatever we eat/drink will have an effect on whatever we have next.
Then there's the diligence of the cellar man (woman, person). Don't laugh but one of the nicest pints I've had was a freshly tapped Greene King IPA 😱 and one of the worst was, sadly, too many to mention really.
The idea of the thread is to get something close to not identical.

Cheers Tom

Was it on cask Sandimas as most beers taste different to keg beers. My new handpull beer(yeah just got one after years of meaning to)tastes different to the keg version

Yes it was. Pub wasn't that great though, so suspect it wasn't that well looked after. A bit disappointing though, it was 10 years since brewing the kit for the 1st time and I'd been really looking forward to trying it. Anyone over on the East Coast where it's more common got a view?

Another suggestion:
Tiny Rebel Cwtch = Tiny Rebel Cwtch ......a really great, authentic kit

Festival German Weiss = Franziskaner / Erdinger / etc.

Similar to most cloudy Weissbier, I struggle to tell them apart but I don't drink it that often. A mate who does drink quite a bit of Weiss couldn't believe it was homebrew when I gave him a pint.

Is Neck oil sold at Tottenham football ground? Good luck with the brew. I had my eye on the kit myself. I'd be interested in your brewing kit
How big is your stove top pot?
I don’t have a stove top mate, i use a Klarstein mash kettle (electric) and a Fermzilla fermenter and always close transfer between the two and into the corny keg.

Bulldog Pennine Peak Yorkshire Bitter = Wychwood Hobgoblin

I wouldn't say it was like a Yorkshire Bitter but on 1st taste this evening and the overwhelming flavour is of that almost thick caramel I pick up from Hobgoblin. It's only been in bottle (overspill from corny) for 2 weeks so it should mellow. Very drinkable beer though

Cheers Tom

Back