Pump Reviews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be very interested in your results regarding these James; especially co2 consumption and heat tolerances.

arturobandini said:
I'd be very interested in your results regarding these James; especially co2 consumption and heat tolerances.

You're going to make me measure the CO2 flow aren't you, which wasn't part of my plan. I do have access to equipment to do it though.

heh! I had a sneaky feeling you might!

Any results you throw up from your testing will be gratefully assimilated into my Brewery plans James. Flojets are a real temptation given that they are so widely available and cheap as the proverbial chip.

arturobandini said:
heh! I had a sneaky feeling you might!

Any results you throw up from your testing will be gratefully assimilated into my Brewery plans James. Flojets are a real temptation given that they are so widely available and cheap as the proverbial chip.

Ok, I'll see what I can do on a lazy friday at work. It'll be argon though not C02.

arturobandini said:
How much is your run of the mill air compressor? How often do you clean those flojets out Oggy? I've read they can be an absolute mother to put back together...buckaroo anyone?

Well another of my hobbies is restoring classic cars and as a result I already have a couple of compressors knocking around and the small one used for powering the brewery only cost £40 off fleabay brand new..I think.

I wouldn't contemplate using Co2 if I were using a HERMS, as it would just use too much gas and it is risky in an enclosed environment.

With regard to stripping down Flojets and cleaning them out....DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT :nono: ....I did it once...but never again P.I.T.A.....I absolutely maltreat mine by leaving hot wort residue in them which after 4 weeks dries out to sticky solid sugar...you would expect the pump to sieze up...rip the diaphragms. :cry: ..No just flush them through with washing soda solution and then bleach....flush with clean water...and yer good to go ;)

Never had an infection...never had a failed pump. Been using the same 2 for over a year..about 6 months with HERMS..and of course I have a couple of spares £1 each of FBay and all the connections are plug and play.

I bet if you looked after them like I don't. :whistle: ..they would last years :D

Hello all i am thinking about using a flojet for my herms but need some advice :) .I use a mini compressor exactly like this one http://xrl.us/besctp but normally just for short periods at a time .I notice it can get quite hot when using for longer periods anyone know if you would damage the compressor if using for 60 - 90 min's. Cheers :thumb:

I wouldn't contemplate using Co2 if I were using a HERMS, as it would just use too much gas and it is risky in an enclosed environment.

SOUND ADVICE......I used CO2 on my Flojet to pump my wort after boiling 10 metres from my boiler to the FV in the Utility Room ..BUT it soon used up a full bottle..... So a Compressor sounds much cheaper option ;)

Rabmaxwell said:
Hello all i am thinking about using a flojet for my herms but need some advice :) .I use a mini compressor exactly like this one http://xrl.us/besctp but normally just for short periods at a time .I notice it can get quite hot when using for longer periods anyone know if you would damage the compressor if using for 60 - 90 min's. Cheers :thumb:

Rab,

Having not used this type of pump I cannot comment based on experience. However; my compressor (with air tank) runs as follows during a mash.
1. Turn on compressor--runs for 3 or 4 mins and cuts out with 25l tank full at 10b (150psi) which I reckon is about 250litres of air.
2. I start the mash and the Flojet recirculates the wort for approx 90 mins at about 1 pulse (of Flojet every 2 secs) The compressor pressure falls to 8b (120psi) and the compressor restarts and charges back up to 10bar, it does this twice during a mash. So I reckon a full recirc mash uses about 100l of air (delivered pressure is only about 10psi)
3. The Flojet then pumps the sweet wort to the copper with pressure increased to about 20-30psi and the wort is transferred within 5 mins.
4. The tank probably charges up 1 more time which enables pumping the wort from the copper through the CFC to the FV.

So all in my compressor runs for approx 6mins.
My Flojet runs for 100mins

Using a pump without an air tank would require the pump to run for the full 100mins.

I think the type of pump you have is used for applying fake tan and I doubt it would normally run for more than 10mins at a time.

Also I would have thought that the constant pump noise would be a bit irritating.

Why not try running it for an hour (possibly 2) and see how hot it gets. If it gets too hot, it is likely to damage both the motor and the diaphragm eventually. (If you cant hold your finger on it for more than 5 secs...it's too hot) :grin:

(all above figures are estimates)

OB

I have one of those Air Pumps and it does not get too hot running it for a couple of hours . . . Its more than man enough to drive a flojet, and I use it for sanitising all my beer lines.

Mine is a slightly more manly model than that delivering air at up to 3.5 bar . . . only problem I found was when trying to tighten the filter onto the outlet it is easy to break the casting / / Drill out to 8mm and JB weld in a Corny out dip tube sorted that one for me

This has got me wondering now about adding a tank to the system.The compressor runs up to 3 bar if i add a cornie inline as the air tank with a spare secondary c02 regulator between the cornie out post & the flojet pump to regulate the pressure to the flojet.Would this work also how could you make the compressor turn itself on & off automatically when the pressure drops below a certain point.Or would you just have to turn it on or off manually. :)

Quick q i have seen a number of shower pumps fgoing very reasonable on Fleabay , any reason why these cant be used ?Sorry i know slightly off topic as ye are disucssing flojets

barkar said:
Quick q i have seen a number of shower pumps fgoing very reasonable on Fleabay , any reason why these cant be used ?Sorry i know slightly off topic as ye are disucssing flojets[/quo okte]

Shower pumps are ok, but you will be very limited to cleaning materials, and you will have to remove the magnetic flow switches in them, better with a scotsman or a march may

Better still These Stainless Steel Pumps are an absolute bargain at £40+ Vat each, But you will need a 110V Transformer to run them, However that might not be a bad thing with liquids splashing about on a brewday. Edit Have just double checked, Before buying one email cornelius to check its not just the pump motor.

UP

When you say limited cleaning products what do you mean . I would have though in order to clean these i would recirculate some oxyclean and then some boiled water with milton to sanitise etc. that this would be recirulated through the hlt copper also ?? The shower pumps would be ok for pumping re powere , i have come acrsoo one with an air butoon start on it

Back