Question time.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making my first batch after a very, very…….. very long time and below are the instructions that came with the kit.

My wine has stopped bubbling to more that 2 mins apart so if the readings are as below do I continue as below and what the hell do they mean by shake?

I presume in my case 30 gallon system they mean stir?

Thanks all.

7. Fermentation will be complete when hardly any bubbles are going through the airlock (less than one per minute). Check the wine with a hydrometer, and taste it. If it is too sweet allow it to continue.
Red Wines 990-994 White/Rose Wines 990-996
A hydrometer reading should be the same for three continuous days, if in doubt leave for a further period, it will do the wine no harm at all. Once you are sure the fermentation is complete add the sachet of Stabiliser (this gives off a gas when mixed with the wine, do not inhale this), shake the container for 3 or 4 minutes to remove the carbon dioxide gases. This should be repeated several times (at least 3 times a day for the next 3-4 days). The more this is done the easier it will be to clear the wine.

8. The wine should now have the finings added. Add the sachet of Kieselsol to the container, shake for 10 seconds to mix, replace cap and leave for 24 hours. Now add the Chitosan to the container, shake for 10 seconds to mix, and replace cap. Leave in a cool place to clear. The wine should be clear in 3-7 days, dependant on the conditions it could be before this. Finings work best if they are lightly mixed in (folded in).

Ok, I might of cocked up because one set of instructions said to add the stabiliser after fermentation (as above) so I added it to the same bin as my original mix with sediment.

Reading another set of instructions from the same maker it says to transfer the wine to another bucket and then add the stabiliser?

So I’ve now transferred the wine to another wine bucket and hope I’ve not buggered it all up.

Back