Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumbrew

Regular dufus
Reaction score
My dear wife bought me this book for our anniversary. Amongst other things that I won't go into.... apart from an adventure day on an inflatable water park thingy in a lake. Which was awesome.

Any how.

I've got the elements brewing books and a few others that people have gifted me. But this one I like. Has lots of illustrations and filler. Some good tips without being too scientific and best of all some really good recipes.

It's not to heavy on the ins and outs of each recipie. Just gives you the basics. Like using rye for example the mash will be very sticky. Advises you to use rice hulls to the grain bed.

Very well presented book. Not overly complex. Very well illustrated with some quite nice pictures and poems.

9/10 from me

Last edited by a moderator:
My dear wife bought me this book for our anniversary. Amongst other things that I won't go into.... apart from an adventure day on an inflatable water park thingy in a lake. Which was awesome.

Any how.

I've got the elements brewing books and a few others that people have gifted me. But this one I like. Has lots of illustrations and filler. Some good tips without being too scientific and best of all some really good recipes.

It's not to heavy on the ins and outs of each recipie. Just gives you the basics. Like using rye for exaple the mash will be very sticky. Advises you to use rice hulls to the grain bed.

Very well presented book. Not overly complex. Very well illustrated with some quite nice pictures and poems.

9/10 from me
Easily my favourite brewing book that I've collected so far. Planning to try one of the 12 Christmas brews in time for Christmas 2020 & his India Red Ale is the base for my red IPA.

Bottled the #5 Fruitcake Old Ale on 8 April 2018. Had a couple of "taster" bottles at ~ 200ml a couple of months ago. They were both basically dreadful, TBH.

Yes, I mean it, just dreadful. Awful. Like why did I do a re-iterated mash and mess around for circa 7 hours to produce this...

Short cut to beer - page 87 of Radical Brewing - just that last paragraph at the bottom. It goes something like:

"You can do this in your sleep, pale ale malt and pale caramel malt to colour, maybe a touch of biscuit or amber malt and then a big heap of "C" hops and a Chico strain yeast - US05, Wyeast 1056 ot WLP001. Easy as pie and pure heaven in a glass."

Why not do this sort of thing for a Xmas brew and forget the overly strong stuff? Never really appreciated them, myself, although I have done at least two of them every year. Am I stupid or what?
No real need to answer that question, guys, as I have a dear wife of some 27 years, who can answer such from the heart.

Back