Re-pitching yeast question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanav

Reaction score
Hi
I appear to have a stuck Wherry kit fermentation (gravity 1022) (Hallway possibly became a bit colder than 18 C) .I tried stirring it , moving it somewhere warmer and adding some sugar , now considering pitching some S-04 yeast to restart ..,.... (or chucking it down the drain and chalking it to experience)

2 questions (although all other advice welcome )

Do i pitch all 11 grammes ?
Will this leave too much yeast in the beer even when the FG is reached, for bulk carbonation (possibly causing bottle bombs)

(BTW Can't cool crash as wine in temp controlled fridge)

Thanks

Sean

How are you taking your gravity readings? With a Hydrometer or a Refractometer? Also are you sure that they are calibrated ? I chased my tail for longer then I would like to admit by using a Refractometer for during and after fermentation was complete and was wondering way my abv was always off only to find out that I needed to use a calculator.

How many days has it been stuck? Only time I ever really had a stuck fermentation it took back off after about three days.

How are you taking your gravity readings? With a Hydrometer or a Refractometer? Also are you sure that they are calibrated ? I chased my tail for longer then I would like to admit by using a Refractometer for during and after fermentation was complete and was wondering way my abv was always off only to find out that I needed to use a calculator.

How many days has it been stuck? Only time I ever really had a stuck fermentation it took back off after about three days.
Hi
Thanks for answering ....and teaching me something i didnt know
Funny you should ask ....og was taken with a Hydrometer , fg was taken with a refractometer ( because I managed to drop then stand on my Hydrometer) .Refractometer was calibrated with distilled water and has both Brix and Gravity reading and I presumed gave an accurate reading ....never knew to take the alcohol factor into consideration

That refractometer calculation would bring me close to the recommended FG. but not quite there
I'll wait until Thursday and hopefully have a new hydrometer and try it again

Many Thanks

Back