Red wine kit: a hint of chlorine in the bouquet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winingkiwi

Reaction score
A few months ago I bottled a Cabernet Shiraz made from a local kit. It was a slow ferment over our (mild) winter, racked once and bottled (from memory, I've lost my blardy notebook) in August. So it's quite young, however I'm an impatient sort and have of course been drinking a few to see how it's getting on. First time making this kit, y'see.

It has a nice, suitably fruity taste for the varietal, good acidity, smooth mouthfeel, and a lovely finish - definitely a success, will do again soon. $2.50 a bottle plonk that I'd pay ooh, as much as $8 for in the supermarket... (Around here that will buy a bottle of decent mass-produced plonk :)

But there is one problem: the wine has a "chlorine-y" pungency when first poured, that lessens as it breathes but never entirely goes away. It's not horrendously off-putting - certainly won't stop me drinking all of it in time - but I have been wondering if the brains trust here might have the answer on two pressing questions:
1. Is this likely to fade completely, given a few undisturbed years in the rack?
2. What is likely to have caused this, and can it be avoided?

Well, maybe three pressing questions then. Any ideas, folks?

What did you use to sterilise your bottles? VWP is chlorine-based and needs really good rinsing to get rid of. If not cleaned thoroughly enough, it can impart a chlorine taste to whatever you bottle.

I second that it might be the sanitizer you used, most need well rinsed. Dunno if it'll fade, does it help to leave the bottle open to breathe a while?

My usual sterilisation regimen is to use bottlewash (the pink stuff) in hot water, soak for 20 mins, rinse well with tap water, then sodium metabisulphite (in cold water) for another 20 mins. My local homebrew shop says you don't have to rinse that but I do unless the bottles are going into storage, when I'll leave an inch in each bottle.

The smell does lessen over time as the wine breathes.

Our tapwater is quite chlorinated here, maybe next time I'll try bottle water for a 5l batch and see if it makes a big difference.

Thanks for the replies.

Had to Google VWP - haven't seen that over here, and can't seem to find what it's made of, other than it having chlorine in. But for that matter I don't know if the bags of Na2S2O5 I get from the local shop are only that, and don't also have things that would contribute the chlorine taste. It's definitely not a sulphitey taste.

Will go ask the local if they know wot's in the bag.

metabisulphate shouldn't leave a chlorine smell. Does the "bottlewasher" you use have a chlorine scent to it, may be that?

As you said, it could be your tap water. Where I am, the tap water is so heavily chlorinated, it's like drinking a swimming pool :sick:

Campden tablets (sodium metabisulphite) will neutralise chlorine - 1 tablet per 5 gallons. Or you can use bottled water, which has not had chlorine added.

Latest posts

Back