Rediscovering brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
Hey there people. Thought I'd join up so I can chat to you guys as I've been scouring your forum for tips and advice for the last couple of weeks! :grin:

I had a dabble with brewing in my teens in the early 90's, stopped when I went to Uni and have only just got round to picking it up again.

Brewing pedigree
My teenage brewing started with a 5gal FV of lager from a packet. This batch was a slightly ropey, but acquirable taste. Certainly not a disaster for my first attempt and me and my mates spent a good summer making sure we'd thoroughly acquired the taste. ;)

In the spirit of adventure, I decided to try and make some wine as my second batch. Funds being an issue, I used cartons of fruit juice as my base and made 3 demijohns of Orange wine and 2 demi's of Grapefruit. These were pretty potent, and at that pre-alcopop age, I thought were masterpieces of brewing. Thinking back, they can't have been as amazing as I remember, but to this day that batch of wine remains legendary among my mates. Remembered fondly along with the braincells we destroyed at its hands. :drunk:

Currently Brewing
I found this forum while searching for a ginger beer recipe, and as such, my current and first brew of my return to brewing is rickthebrew's Fiery Ginger Beer recipe. Which is currently sat fizzing happily to itself in the corner of our living room. (To the bemusement of my wife.)

OSG 1058 :shock:
Yesterday was day 6 of the ferment and it was at 1022.
I'd intended this to be about 8%, looks like it might be more like 9% or 10% if I'm calculating this properly. :whistle:
I'd planned to bottle it at 1010, leaving that final ferment for a bit of fizz and a medium-dry flavour, but I've read all you lot saying you left it to ferment to the bitter end (pun intended ;) ) in the 0990's. So now I'm not so sure.

Current other brewing related things I'm pondering is reusing my yeast. It seems perverse to buy a packet of dried yeast, spend a week cultivating it into a flourishing yeast culture, carefully siphon my liquid away from it, throw my healthy yeast away and buy a new packet of dried yeast in a couple of weeks. :wha: I'm thinking of sticking the yeasty sediment in the fridge 'til I'm ready, and making some Lemon and lime ferment as my next batch, using that yeast to give it a ginger twist.

Distant future brewing intentions - I've just put myself on a list for an allotment (and waved off the last of my rock and roll street cred), and intend in the next couple of years to grow a few hop vines to harvest and brew from. :grin:

All thoughts, comments and/or suggestions are gratefully received.

And anyway, Hi!
:grin:
:hat:

Hi welcome to the forum , have a search for 'wow' wurzels orange wine (can be anything not just orange ) that may be down your street :thumb:

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

pittsy said:
Hi welcome to the forum , have a search for 'wow' wurzels orange wine (can be anything not just orange ) that may be down your street :thumb:

Hey Pittsy,

Haha! I'd already decided to take a look at the WOW at some point, based on the assumption it must be noteworthy if it deserved a mention in the FAQ page!

Latest posts

Back