Should I take mango skins out of my mead?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobShandy

Reaction score
About 40 hours ago I started my first batch of a mead. Just at that point I read I should include some nutrients for the yeast. So looked around the kitchen and found a mango. I put about half, or 2/3 of the fruit, into boiling water for a few minutes and then put it into the mix.

Subsequently I saw that mango skin gives a pine taste. Should I use a tongues to take it out? In another place someone said that mango in the primary phase doesn't alter the taste anyway. I am a novice at this.

This is my recipe

1 imperial gallon demijohn

4 x lidl simply honey 340g jars (72p each)
150g of eucalyptus honey
Cloves
Ginger powder
Nutmeg powder
Cracked pepper corns
Vanilla essence

I sanitised everything.

I warmed the jars of honey until they ran easily into the demijohn. The eucalyptus honey didn't run very well.

I dumped all the other ingredients into boiling water for a few minutes.

Then I used a funnel to get everything into the demijohn, topped up with filtered water.

I shook the f out of the mixture. The I added two 7g packets of hovis yeast. I know people prefer to use a more professional yeast.

I agitated the demijohn a bit and then topped up with more filtered water.

I put sanitised water in the airlock.

It has been bubbling away for 40 hours now. Normally I keep it out of the light.

IMG_20221208_100248.jpg

No, I don't think you'll notice some mango skin, especially after all the other spices you have in there, I wouldn't fiddle with it. Aerate and provide additional nutrients on alternating days in order to keep the fermentation healthy (search for mead staggered nutrient regime on google and you should get some useful info).

Also if you are ever in a pinch for yeast nutrients, you can use a small amount of boiling water and add a little bit of yeast to it (you don't need much of either). Yes, you will kill this yeast but dead yeast cells are actually a good nutrient for the living yeast. It's always better to buy professional nutrients but this is a good option if you are ever stuck and much, much better than no nutrients at all.

Latest posts

Back