Sorry more, newby questions!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnyOwl

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just found the art of homebrew, although I think i've started at the worst possible time with the temperature challenge!

Can I ask some specific questions which I can't seem to find anywhere.

1 - I currently have a stout in a King Keg (top tap) and its completed it's secondary fermentation and will be ready to drink soon. I want to keep it in a room temperature 18c-23c. Will I have issues with the quality of the beer if the keg stays in that temperature range? I have a bar shed but i'm presuming that the temperature range in the bar would be way too high?

2 - After I pour the first pint out of the barrel, how long will the beer last from this point? I'll be using a Co2 canister if that makes a difference to the answer.

3 - I also have a Belgium Dubbel at 7.2% in the main fermenter but I brewed this way too hot in the first few days. The temperature of the beer was at 32c for the first 24 hours and then dropped down to about 27c for a few days and then the rest of the time it's been at 22c-24c. What are the odds that this beer will be ok to drink?

Any advice will be appreciated as I navigate these early brewing days!

JD

Hi Donny
There will not be a problem storing ur keg at that temperature, I’m sure it will be drunk within 12 month anyway . As for keeping ur brew fresh what u will have to do is re-pressure ur barrel as you go. No doubt ur 1st pint will be lively, but as the pressure drops as u dispense more pints u will need top it up with more CO2. this will keep the oxygen out and avoid oxidation which will cause it to spoil. So when the pressure drops or u get a “glug” back hit it with ur CO2..
regards ur Dubbel Iv never done one but it will depend what type of yeast u used. Im sure ul get an answer of someone regarding this .

Hi Donny
There will not be a problem storing ur keg at that temperature, I’m sure it will be drunk within 12 month anyway . As for keeping ur brew fresh what u will have to do is re-pressure ur barrel as you go. No doubt ur 1st pint will be lively, but as the pressure drops as u dispense more pints u will need top it up with more CO2. this will keep the oxygen out and avoid oxidation which will cause it to spoil. So when the pressure drops or u get a “glug” back hit it with ur CO2..
regards ur Dubbel Iv never done one but it will depend what type of yeast u used. Im sure ul get an answer of someone regarding this .

Appreciate your help, thanks.

Latest posts

Back