Strawberry Lowizc, Um Bongo and Summer Fruit punch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IainM

Landlord.
Reaction score
I had a spare bottle of strawberry Lowizc and room for another DJ in the water bath, so I just chucked this together to see if it would work:

1L Um Bungo original = 99g sugar
2L Tesco Summer Fruit drink = 64g sugar
1 bottle lowicz strawberry = 374g sugar
0.5 tsp pectolase
1tsp glycerine
1tsp yeast nutrient
2 bag 1 cup strong tea
1.5 tsp super wine yeast compound
Total sugar is 537g

Didn't take OG, but it was down to 1.004 after 10 days when I racked it, and I bottled after 17 days (3x500ml w/1.5tsp sugar, 2x330ml w/1.0 and 4x284ml w/~0.8tsp). Cracked my first bottle today (284ml) after 31 days conditioning. Tastes pretty good. I could see others wanting to add some sweetness, but the dry intense fruit flavour works for me. Not a touch on my ginger beer, but refreshing summery drink. I estimate it is around 7% alcohol. Certainly feels like it!

20160713_194039.jpg

The photo doesn't do it justice - it is quite an intense red colour.

I had a spare bottle of strawberry Lowizc and room for another DJ in the water bath, so I just chucked this together to see if it would work:

1L Um Bungo original = 99g sugar
2L Tesco Summer Fruit drink = 64g sugar
1 bottle lowicz strawberry = 374g sugar
0.5 tsp pectolase
1tsp glycerine
1tsp yeast nutrient
2 bag 1 cup strong tea
1.5 tsp super wine yeast compound
Total sugar is 537g

Didn't take OG, but it was down to 1.004 after 10 days when I racked it, and I bottled after 17 days (3x500ml w/1.5tsp sugar, 2x330ml w/1.0 and 4x284ml w/~0.8tsp). Cracked my first bottle today (284ml) after 31 days conditioning. Tastes pretty good. I could see others wanting to add some sweetness, but the dry intense fruit flavour works for me. Not a touch on my ginger beer, but refreshing summery drink. I estimate it is around 7% alcohol. Certainly feels like it!

20160713_194039.jpg

The photo doesn't do it justice - it is quite an intense red colour.

would you make this again and if so with what as an extra or an alternative, i just ask as i have a lidl's near me that has lots of fruit juices at very reasonable prices hehe:whistle:

would you make this again and if so with what as an extra or an alternative, i just ask as i have a lidl's near me that has lots of fruit juices at very reasonable prices hehe:whistle:

While I drank it and enjoyed it, I wouldn't make this recipe the same way as I did before. Firstly, I would sweeten it as it ended up quite dry and went best when mixed with some lemonade. Secondly I think I'd ditch the 2L Tesco reduced sugar summer fruits drink, as the Lowicz gave it quite a strong fruit flavour as it was.

I'd be tempted to blend that with a low alcohol wheat beer. (3% + 7%) /2 = 5%

luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuush! :thumb:

so like a berried/fruit wheat beer - sounds really good - if you wanted an opinion other then your own I would be willing to give my thoughts on a bottle or 2 :grin:

Back