Swine flu: UK detects first human case of new strain -

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How is this going to work as we move into winter "people with flu-like symptoms are advised to avoid contact with others, particularly those who are elderly or vulnerable, with other health conditions" is everyone who now finds they have a bad cold supposed to phone in sick and avoid family members etc?

Health officials are investigating the first confirmed case of a new strain of swine flu in the UK.

The A(H1N2)v infection was detected in a routine flu screening test at a GP surgery in North Yorkshire.
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said the person had respiratory symptoms, a mild illness and had fully recovered from the infection.
Investigations will look at where the infection came from and its risk to human health.
Human infections with swine flu viruses do occur - there have been 50 cases of A(H1N2)v reported globally in the past 20 years.
There was a case reported in the United States in August.
The infection found in the UK is slightly different from recent human cases of swine flu globally, health officials say, but similar to viruses in UK pigs.
In 2009, there was a pandemic of swine flu in humans caused by a virus spreading in pigs, birds and humans.
The UKHSA said it planned to increase surveillance through GP surgeries and hospitals in parts of North Yorkshire where the case was detected.
Meera Chand, the agency's incident director, said: "We are working rapidly to trace close contacts and reduce any potential spread.
"In accordance with established protocols, investigations are under way to learn how the individual acquired the infection and to assess whether there are any further associated cases."
People with flu-like symptoms are advised to avoid contact with others, particularly those who are elderly or vulnerable, with other health conditions.
Chief Veterinary Officer Christine Middlemiss said: "We know that some diseases of animals can be transferred to humans - which is why high standards of animal health, welfare and biosecurity are so important."
She said pig-owners must report any signs of swine flu in their herds to their local vet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-6...t_campaign=Social_Flow&at_campaign_type=owned

Last edited:
So if you have flu like symptoms don't go giving granny a hug and a big wet sloppy kiss.
So exactly the same as if you had regular non piggy flu like symptoms......

Ffs

Whilst it would never happen I'd relish another Christmas lockdown. Probably a different opinion to most but I actually enjoyed the lock downs. Christmas was an added bonus, no having to see the in-laws, no parties that I'm really not bothered about. Just the family sat at home in front of a blazing log burner, nice glass of single malt in hand, no stress. Oink oink 😁

My mil and fil always book a pub Christmas dinner and have done for ages the older I get the more drawn to this idea I become.
Now the kids are past the age where they give two hoots about Christmas the more I'd like to just sod off somewhere on holiday...if the prices were not so silly over the season. I do like a proper Christmas lunch, but that is the most appealing thing about it these days despite it only being an hour or so of stuffing my face.

Meeting up with mates down the local on Christmas Eve has been the highlight of my Christmases over the last 20 years or so. Good excuse to get out of the office for a sensible time and seems like an easy pass out from the mrs...though in recent years our other halves have been joining us which makes things easier.

Latest posts

Back