The best curry recipe I have ever tasted...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceejay

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this - I think the copious amounts of ghee, lamb shoulder and pureed fresh chillies are what make this soooo awesome. It's a proper winter warmer. Wash down with a nice East India Pale Ale for the win ;)

Mumrez Khan’s Lamb and Spinach Karahi curry recipe from the Karachi Restaurant in Neal Street, Bradford.

The Ingredients

250g (9oz) Ghee

3 tablespoons Fresh Coriander (chopped)

65g (2 1/2oz) Garlic

1 tablespoon Ground Turmeric

1 tablespoon Red Chilli Powder

350g (12oz) Fresh Spinach washed with large stalks removed

1 tablespoon Ground Cumin

4 medium sized Green Chillies with stalks removed

1 tablespoon Paprika

½ tablespoon Garam Masala

550g (1 1/4lb) Onions Chopped

1 x 400g (140z) Can Chopped Toms

50g (2oz) Fresh Ginger, peeled and chopped

1 tablespoon Salt

900g (2lb) Boneless leg or shoulder of Lamb (1½ in) cubes

1 tablespoon Ground Coriander

120ml (4fl oz) water

A pinch of ground cumin and freshly ground black pepper to serve

How to Cook

1. Heat the ghee in a large, heavy based pan. Add the onions and cook over a medium heat, stirring now and then, for 20 minutes until they are soft and a light brown

2. Put the tomatoes, water, ginger and garlic into a liquidizer and blend until smooth. Remove the fried onions with a slotted spoon, add them to the paste and blend briefly until smooth.

3. Return the puree to the ghee left in the pan and add the lamb and salt. Simmer for 30 minutes, by which time the lamb will be half cooked and the sauce will be well reduced. Stir in the turmeric, chilli powder, cumin, paprika and ground coriander and continue to cook for 30-45 minutes for shoulder or 45-1 hour for leg, until the lamb is tender, adding a little water now and then if the sauce starts to stick.

4. Meanwhile, put 175g (6oz) of the spinach leaves into a large pan and cook until it has wilted down into the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute, then transfer to the rinsed out liquidizer and blend to a smooth puree. Set aside. Rinse out the liquidiser again and add the green chillies and 2-3 tablespoons of water and blend until smooth. Set aside.

5. When the lamb is cooked, there should be a layer of ghee floating on the top of the curry. You can either skim it off or leave it there, whichever you prefer. Then stir in the spinach puree and the remaining spinach leaves and cook for 2 minutes.

6. Now taste the curry and add as much green chilli puree as you wish, according to how hot you like your curries . Simmer for 2 minutes more.

7. Stir in the fresh coriander and Garam Masala. Transfer the curry to a serving dish and sprinkle with a little more ground cumin and some freshly ground black pepper just before you take it to the table.

Serve with your choice of rice, Naan breads, poppadoms and whatever else you can cram in.

Thanks Ceejay for this :thumb: I remember watching Rick Stein's TV programme when he made this in Karachi's Curry House at Bradford. (It used to be my regular Curry House in the 80's & 90's) :D

Cor, lucky you! I've yet to find a favourite curry house where I live. There's plenty of half decent ones, but nothing outstanding that I've found yet. The search continues... :geek:

About this receipe though - It is truly, honestly one of the best curries I have ever eaten. I find a lot of home made curry recipies just don't quite "get there" but this one is seriously good.

Thats my favourite home made curry too :thumb:

That book is great :cool:

Ceejay said:
I find a lot of home made curry recipies just don't quite "get there" .

Have you tried the book 'The New Curry Secret' there are some cracking ones there and the approach there seems to be closest to the general style of UK curry houses.

I haven't no - however, a quick check on a well known online retailer's website suggests that for a fiver I really ought to buy it for myself for Christmas! :thumb:

Thanks CeeJay, we have a few recipes for lamb and spinach, they're all a bit rubbish so I will certainly try this one out, looks great....of course I will have to spend a day brewing first so as to have an ale to go with it.

gsidford said:
Ceejay said:
I find a lot of home made curry recipies just don't quite "get there" .

Have you tried the book 'The New Curry Secret' there are some cracking ones there and the approach there seems to be closest to the general style of UK curry houses.
Having seen the kitchens & accommodation of a fair few curry houses over the years :sick: , IMO anything that doesn't pass for the "general style" of UK curry houses has to be good! :)

I really struggle to find a decent curry house that uses decent meat, no unnecessary colourings and no prepacked sauces, though in one village I lived in the local curry house took pride in no artifical flavours or colours, traditional recipes, the chef made all his own masalas and produced some fantastic dishes. My favourite lamb dish was really heavy on lime and had a fantastic hot and sour taste, it's the only place I've ever seen lamb meatballs stuffed with plum, which were also pretty darn good... hmmm.... I'm getting hungry now...

...sadly, most around my way now are mediocre at best, so I love cooking curry at home and it's also appreciated by Mrs GJ who loves anything & everything seriously hot... This looks like an excellent recipe, though she doesn't like lamb, so I may just have to save it for a big blow out meal when she's away some time... :party:

Thanks Ceejay! :thumb:

Grumpy Jack said:
IMO anything that doesn't pass for the "general style" of UK curry houses has to be good! :)

What I meant by the general style, is the thickness/richness of the gravy that most recipes are made with, rather than the rather tired output of a lot of curry houses/takeaways.

Ultimately whether you want to try that book or not is up to you, I tried it on recommendation and was very impressed with the output, which s more than I can say for a number of different books I have cooked from. But this lamb recipe from a curry house in Bradford looks worth trying.

Latest posts

Back