The Ten Digit Brew ......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
The Ten Digit Brew, well it’s actually Jennings Cumberland Ale :!: but I’d finally decided to have a bash and update the boiler and mash tun :eek: The mash tun had a plastic plate with lots of holes in it as a strainer, the boiler, well I used to bag the hops and simply stick ‘em in :oops:

My DIY skills are somewhat limited a) by lack of skills b) my fondness of having five digits on each hand c) I like the red stuff to stay inside my skin :whistle:

However I bought some shiny copper bits and a not quite as shiny brass thingy and a tap and tailpipe which were just shiny :cool: After much planning and rooting through the toolbox I set to..... hang on I hear :!: Barking Baz has an aversion to DIY but has a toolbox :shock: Well I do :D it belonged to my late father, who was quite good at woodworking and generally mending things, so I have a box with many tools inside :!: some of which I actually know what they are and what they’re for :idea: I used to tinker with motorcycles quite a lot in my youth, anyone who’s had a BSA Bantam or an old AJS knows how much tinkering was needed to keep ‘em going, even the Bonneville was regularly in bits :!:

So a couple of afternoons in ‘The Den’ saw a nice shiny 'manifold' manufactured :wha: it was quite straightforward actually, especially when I changed the hacksaw blade for one with teeth on the blade :oops: In fact I changed it quite regularly when I found just how many cuts I was going to put in the pipes, I’d noted others had problems with stuck mash and needed more slots, so did loads :idea:
k17xhx.jpg

2dkcsuw.jpg

It fit into the bottom of the mash tun a treat.
ztbxcm.jpg

So 9am this morning, the boiler was on and the grains measured out, unusual for me to have a brewday on a weekend, but MrsC is newly out of hospital and laid up for the time being :sick:

Crisp Pale Ale Malt 2.950 kg
Torrefied wheat .365g
Black malt .37g
and .330g sugar to add to the boil later.

The mashing went a doddle the newly made strainer worked a treat, no sticking with a good flow, there was less dead space than I previously had as well and generally seemed more efficient, excellent result :clap:

The boiler, well this was the bit I was worried about :? all the tank connectors I’d seen seemed to need a bit fixing on the inside to connect the hop strainer to, but on my browsing I came across this..... a ”Straight adaptor extended thread, compression x BSP Parallel 15mm x ½” “ :whistle:
v999x.jpg

Which was brilliant, I just needed to take off the old tap from the Buffallo and make the resultant hole a bit bigger, which I did with a gizmo which fit on the drill and filed it a bit bigger. Then fit the adaptor with the 15mm compression joint inside to attach the hop strainer to :thumb:
The bits I got from http://www.bes.co.uk/ the adaptor was part number 7786 the lever ball valve part number 9689 and the tail 14558, delivered next day, the coppery bits I got locally.
2lnjqck.jpg

The hop strainer for the boiler was just a simple job again, but fiddly drilling all them holes :!:
2cylfea.jpg

But with the compression joint on the inside of the boiler once the strainer was made it’s easy to fit and take off for cleaning :thumb:
99o16w.jpg

The hops were added at the start of the boil, straight in today no bag and scalded fingers trying to squeeze it at the end of the boil :oops:
Challenger 33g for 90 mins
Goldings 11g last 15 mins
ws8d2x.jpg

Again everything went fine, no leaks and the run off at the end into the FV was a doddle, used a sieve just to catch any odd bits that got through, but there wasn’t much at all :thumb:

All in all I’m rather pleased with the results, obviously the end result will be the tasting :drink:

The OG was supposed to be 1038, but was actually 1040, so looks like I’ve cocked it up again :lol: but what the hell I’ll live with it.

Well my DIY jobby completed, without the aid of a safety net or having St John’s ambulance parked on the drive and have all ten digits fully intact, not a scratch :party:

The first brew with the newly altered kit completed, another brew will be along shortly I suspect.
But until then I’ll just have to settle for one I made earlier :cheers:

6rq9dt.jpg

Nice one Baz.... Sounds like it might be a bit of alright.... The one you made earlier looks superb and very very quaffable....!!!! Good health doowd :cheers:

I love a bit of Cumberland... got a keg for the wedding in fact. Jennings head brewer lives next to my parents too.

Looks am awesome bit of DIY too. I don't trust myself to do such work, my upgrade in summer WILL be shop bought.

Latest posts

Back