The yeast starter conundrum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Archer.

Reaction score
From time to time I pick up old books on home brewing to see how practices have evolved over the years.

Some books seem to be essentially ghost written and compiled from previous publications, but some demonstrate a lot of personal experimentation and experience.

One of my favourites in that regard is Graham Wheeler's CAMRA sponsored book 'Brew your own British real ale'

The text is littered with detail, lessons the author has learned the hard way from everyday home brewing.

When it comes to making a starter culture, he advocates 55g DME in 300mL water.

But where did 55g come from? It's a slightly odd number until you realise that it closely equates to two ounces. Older books from the pre metric era tend to refer to liquid malt extract rather than DME, which is slightly less concentrated, so my suspicion is that his 55g DME into 300mL water started off life as an old rule of thumb of 2oz of LME into a half pint (284mL) of water.

Wheeler is not alone advocating what is roughly a heady 1.067 solution, and one tome from the seventies advocates 40mL of LME into 150mL water, which works out at a towering 1.090.

Nor is he alone in taking tiny innoculation rates from slants or bottle dregs and taking them in a single stage up to a pitchable starter for a five gallon brew, using, in his case, a milk bottle and without recourse to a stir bar.

The conundrum is that if you try to put these numbers through online starter calculators, you reach the conclusion that the innoculation rates are impossibly low, the wort strength hopelessly high and the yeast yield nothing like enough.

- But they clearly worked..

Am I missing something?

I can remember years ago reading lots of stuff and getting overloaded by different authors and methods.

Then I picked an author and stuck with it and got started.

As I progress many years later through brewing, sh1te still keeps changing.

Conclusion: there is no one way.

Let's start in a different place.😁
What are you trying to do?

Let's start in a different place.😁
What are you trying to do?

Fair question.

I live in an English village about half an hour's drive south of Cambridge. Ten years ago my local pub was facing closure, so I bought it. When in need of ale I need only wander over and undertake some quality control.

I am currently in the process of winding up and retiring out of my main business, which will leave some premises vacant that I'm in no hurry to sell.

As a retirement job, to give me a reason to get out of bed each morning, I'm looking at the possibility of using these premises to do a little small scale commercial brewing. Cask ales only, nothing too exotic.

However I'm in no hurry to run before I walk, and want to get my head round the weirder bits of the craft, especially where the published texts seem to contradict each other.

Personally I've solved the yeast starter conundrum by never bothering with one! :D

Sounds like a good project! I would assume the modern methods are the result of experience and experiment, whereas the old methods just worked because yeast will grow in lots of different conditions.

You can still brew commercially with dried yeast, you don’t have to run a yeast lab.

Personally I've solved the yeast starter conundrum by never bothering with one! :D
me too! yeast is cheap enough and if you were brewing alot you'd just harvest yeast/trub directly from the previous brew.

Though when I have done starters in the past I seem to have read that the ideal gravity wort is around the 1.040 level...just goes to show that alot of these rules are more guidelines than rules.

Fair question.

I live in an English village about half an hour's drive south of Cambridge. Ten years ago my local pub was facing closure, so I bought it. When in need of ale I need only wander over and undertake some quality control.

I am currently in the process of winding up and retiring out of my main business, which will leave some premises vacant that I'm in no hurry to sell.

As a retirement job, to give me a reason to get out of bed each morning, I'm looking at the possibility of using these premises to do a little small scale commercial brewing. Cask ales only, nothing too exotic.

However I'm in no hurry to run before I walk, and want to get my head round the weirder bits of the craft, especially where the published texts seem to contradict each other.

That sounds like you have a customer fur the casks. Good show.

It would be interesting to discuss the volumes.

Most smaller commercial brewers start with dried yeast. Simply because you can buy bricks of it easily to give you the cell count and you don't need to do starters or oxygenate.

For wet yeast you'd tend to buy a pitch of yeast from a commercial supplier, use that and then keep cropping and repitching from batch to batch. That's why many breweries only have one house yeast.

Otherwise you're looking at a 4-5 litre starter per barrel, and you need to figure out how to oxygenate it both during the starter and when pitched.

Back