Thermowell for inkbird probe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't realised that inkbird temperature probes weren't food safe. Oops.

So, while I await my second head to grow, will they fit into these thermowells does anyone know?

Seems a great price, which is handy as I will need 4!

Bulkhead 4" Thermowell
Make your own to the dimension you want, a threaded hose barb, nylon tube and a silicone tube enclosure.
This is one with a push in fitting instead of a barb, straighten the tube with a hair dryer and you have a cheap, effective thermowell.
IMG_6156.JPG

Last edited:
I hadn't realised that inkbird temperature probes weren't food safe. Oops.

So, while I await my second head to grow, will they fit into these thermowells does anyone know?

Seems a great price, which is handy as I will need 4!

Bulkhead 4" Thermowell
I would send the supplier an email asking for the ID of the thermowell as it isn’t stated.

I have a home made job which is basically a piece of 8mm OD stainless tubing that fits through a John Guest bulkhead fitting on my Fermzilla, the ID is 6mm and the Inkbird probe fits with no issues if that helps?

Last edited:
The only thing to consider is how far into the vessel do you want it to penetrate. In my fermenter I like it as close to the centre as possible.

Was thinking thermal paste?
It wouldn’t hurt to apply some, do you mean where the fitting meets the boiler/fermenter? Cos it comes with silicon washers so shouldn’t really need anything else. That said, it wouldn’t do any harm i guess, nor would thread tape.

I use them at work and they only need to be hand tightened. The heat and the resultant expansion takes care of the seal and we pressure our vessels up to 20 bar.

Back