To dump or not to dump

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewing a NEIPA this morning and after adding 49 grams of Amarillo to first wort, I sparged and brought to boil and stupidly added the next hop addition on my recipe, 49 (more) grams of Amarillo which recipe said '0 min boil' and as soon as I put them in, I realised my mistake. So I got a cup of coffee and felt sorry for myself, considering the impact this would likely have on the finished beer, as well as the cost and effort so far versus the 3 separate dry hop sessions to come, and decided to dump it and start over tomorrow.

Now I am doubting my decision and would be really interested in what others think. Has anyone done this sort of massive over bittering and continued through to taste the result?

Thanks in advance!

Over bittering a NEIPA is just bittering in most other beers. Tweaking the hop additions and maybe yeast to make a West Coast IPA would have worked.

I would've raided the kitchen cupboards and got a flour sieve (assuming you're using leaf) and pulled a few out and add in later. Probably put them in cold water to cool them down. A bit mad but not as mad as throwing potential beer away 😂.
Seriously though, I find NEIPA a pretty bitter beer so I doubt if it would have been that bad. The challenge would be to find some suitable hops for the late addition.

Just an after thought @UK Yank I wait until all my wort is in the kettle and boiling before I add any hops (although I prefer not to do 60 minute hop additions). That might be something you want to think about in your process that will avoid a repeat.

as others said I’d just have accepted my mistake and see what came out the other end of the brewing process. Seems a hell of a waste of money to bin it to me.

Thanks for the feedback Prog99. You’re probably right - should have kept going. I guess I thought I’d have more motivation to do the 3 batches of dry hop work with wort I am confident in.

Thanks for the feedback Prog99. You’re probably right - should have kept going. I guess I thought I’d have more motivation to do the 3 batches of dry hop work with wort I am confident in.
Whilst it's a shame to pour it down the drain, it does give you the ability to try again tomorrow. Half of the fun is in the doing, so you get to do more doing now!

I’m having an issue with the “49g” additions 😱
Is it just me or would anyone else ignore that and add 50g ?
What can you do with 2g of hops left over from 100g bag ??
😇
All joking aside dumping was possibly the wrong decision as stated above it would have made a different beer.

Thanks for the feedback Donegal john. You're right! It's how the recipe scaled to my equipment, but now you've mentioned it, excellent point!

Big thank you to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts on my question. It's unanimous that I should not have dumped as it would likely have been a drinkable beer. Next time I'll know! clapa

Big thank you to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts on my question. It's unanimous that I should not have dumped as it would likely have been a drinkable beer. Next time I'll know! clapa
Yes, I would have continued, but known the final beer would no longer be the same. An overly bitter beer will lose its bitterness over a few months longer than "usual" and this was very much the way of things, say, 150 years ago with English beers.

I would have put it to one side and done another batch the following day with no bittering hops and loads of 0 min addition aroma hops.
Pour half and half in to 2 FB's and then mixed the 2 for a genuine double volume batch.

Latest posts

Back