Total noob with a ton of questions lol!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artemisia

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I started my first brew last Sat night (14th Oct) using bits & pieces I picked up at Wilkinsons.
I wasn't brave/stupid enough to jump straight into bona fide beer or wine, since I thought it was smarter to start slowly & get the hang of things first - not to mention the cost of a kit & the likelihood of ruining it on a first attempt.
So... I cooked up my own alcoholic ginger beer recipe from scratch, very roughly following a recipe I saw a guy on YouTube make.

Recipe:
4.5l carboy
1 large ginger root, blended to pulp
1/2 medium orange, chopped & skin left on
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 bag (500g) Wilkinson beer additive (50:50 mixed pale malt: dextrose)
300g white sugar
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1 Wilkinson wine yeast sachet (oops! Maybe that was a bad idea?!)
(orange & coriander were my idea, having read about Belgian Wit Beer - my fav)

The fermentation started up in earnest about 3 hours after I pitched the yeast & quickly turned into Mount Vesuvius, fizzing so violently it was almost at a rolling boil! :lol: You can probably guess what happened next - yup, it was trying to climb out through the trap & I had to carefully swap traps several times, cleaning & sanitizing as I went. Luckily, the pack I bought was a double. It was late by this point & I had to abandon it with the cap of the trap jumping up & down & ended up leaving it in my bath overnight in case anything more drastic happened - like a total blockage of the carboy neck!
Anyway, it settled down enough by the next day that I could leave it to it's own devices & this continued for about 36 more hours, fizzing like crazy. Eventually it calmed down to a gentle fizz like a glass of pop that's been standing for a few hours. It's now 5 days since start & has all but stopped, almost overnight in fact. Very strange!
So, I took a gravity reading: OG=1.058, current gravity=1.013... erm, that's as near as dammit 6% ABV right?? :shock: but it still hasn't cleared all the way down the bottle, as if the yeast is still churning away very gently. There's a clearer section of about 2-3 inches from the head. I wonder where it will finish in ABV?

Some questions for you guys:
I've read that a full fermentation can take from 10 days to whatever which is why I'm a little confused about the progress so far. I daren't at this point risk bottling this monster into sealed, primed bottles, as it seems to like sugar enough to break stuff to get to it! lol Do I leave it until it has settled right out in say another five to ten days?
Secondly, I tasted the sample I took today & to be honest it wasn't particularly palatable. I even question the accuracy of the hydrometer because it's more like a ginger flavoured light barley wine, or maybe even a low calorie ginger ale & vodka! So I wonder how I'm going to calm it down a bit with lots of sweetness & fizz without making bottle bombs. I absolutely guarantee they will be if I overdo the primer to compensate. Is there a sweetener I can add that is non-fermentable? It will probably end up going into some 750ml Hoegaarden bottles that I have, hopefully they'll be safe enough. :?
Is it possible to kill the yeast completely, allow to settle then sweeten & carbonate at bottling time?

I'm thinking now that I should have done the following:- used ale yeast instead of wine yeast (I was aiming for a high ABV, but this wine yeast seems pretty harsh tasting so far); skipped the white sugar & used the full 1kg of malt/dextrose, & I also wish I'd used spring water rather than tap water.

If it turns out ok, I think I'll name this batch "RPG" - rocket propelled ginger. :grin:
Or maybe I'll just pour it straight into a fuel can.

Sorry for the long post, I'm kind of excited by the success of my first brewage! Thanks for taking the time to read.
Regards
Chris.

Hi and welcome, don't apologise for the length of your post, it's what the forums all about. Personally I'm not the best to answer your questions as I've only brewed beers, never ginger beers but there are plenty on here who will be eager to help.

Hi there, and well done for jumping in feet first!

Right, to extract some questions one at a time...

Sweetener - Splenda works brilliantly and is non-fermentable.

Carbonation - if you kill the yeast at bottling time, it's going to stay flat. One of the guys on here tried to use a sodastream to carbonate something, and it made an unholy mess of his kitchen! Better to wait until fermentation has finished (check the gravity with a hydrometer - if it stays the same over three-five days, it's finished) and then add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar per bottle before filling with the beer.

The wine yeast will get it a lot dryer than 1.013 - I wouldn't be surprised if it went down below 1.000, so it's still got a little while to go yet. Some of my ciders and wines have taken 2-3 weeks to finish the initial ferment with the Youngs yeast (which I think is the same as the Wilko's) and have ended up at 0.990!

The vodka taste will mellow with time in the bottle. If you can leave it a couple of months, it should be a lot smoother. An ale yeast would have given you some odd flavours, so you were probably right to go with a wine yeast if I'm honest.

Hope this helps!

Welcome. :cheers: Sounds like you have made a good one. Patience is something you will have to learn. Leave it for at least another week to let it finish fermenting. As the sugar decreases it takes longer to ferment so what you have seen is normal. I agree you will probably get below 1.000 and you will need to back sweeten with Splenda or other type of sweetner. To be honest Ginger Beer was not a good one to start with as it needs a good few weeks/months to mature to make it drinkable, but worth the wait if you like ginger beer. While you are waiting try a Coopers beer kit as they always turn out good, or if you like wine try the famous WOW. Both of those are very drinkable in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back