Transferring harvested yeast slurry from one container to another?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darlacat

Reaction score
I have around 500ml of settled yeast slurry in a 1.5l container (with rinsed wort on top), which I harvested around 4 weeks ago. According to the Brewer's Friend calculator, I only need to use around 200ml of this slurry in my next batch, which will be a 1.040 wort.

As I want to use only roughly half of this yeast, should I dump the remainder? Or is it possible to transfer the leftovers to a smaller container, given that the yeast and liquid above has been removed?

I have around 500ml of settled yeast slurry in a 1.5l container (with rinsed wort on top), which I harvested around 4 weeks ago. According to the Brewer's Friend calculator, I only need to use around 200ml of this slurry in my next batch, which will be a 1.040 wort.

As I want to use only roughly half of this yeast, should I dump the remainder? Or is it possible to transfer the leftovers to a smaller container, given that the yeast and liquid above has been removed?
It depends on how often and how much you brew in litres I suppose.You could transfer the liquid to a sanitised container,use half your yeast and put the other half in the container with liquid or you could just use half and save some of the yeast from your new brew or both.

Latest posts

Back