Two Partial Mash recipes - review required

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishLad

Reaction score
Hi all, thankfully to this forum I did few kits already and Im happy with the results, now I want to try making it from scratch...sort of. I'm not able to do all grain right now but I did some reading and a lot ppl like me doing partial mash on stove top. Sadly, resources on the topic are very limited apart of a great piece by Ken Schwartz from 1998 about converting all grain to partial mash. Using his methods I have converted one recipe and the other one is from this thread.
I want you guys to check it, according to beertool it checks out but you'll know better than any program:laugh8:

Grapefruit Pale Ale

3kg 2-row pale
226g crystal 60L
mash at 65*C for 60 min

boil for 60min
30g Challenger @ 60min
30g Amarillo @ 5min
30g Mosaic @ 5min
30g Amarillo @ 0min
30g Mosaic @ 0min

1kg Dry Light Extract added while cooling
1l of frozen, 100% Grapefruit juice (Frozen so it cools down quicker)

Yeast: US-05

Assumed:
OG 1.057 (Without juice)
FG 1.014
ABV6%

London Pride

2kg Maris Otter
400g Crystal
50g Black malt
mash at 65*C for 60min

Boil for 60min
10g Target @ 60 mins
14g Northdown @ 15 mins
14g Challenger @ 15 mins
5g Irish Moss@ 15 mins

1kg Dried Light Extract

Assumed:
OG 1.045
FG 1.011
ABV 4.4%

Tell me what you think, what are yours experiences with partial mash.

The recipes look good to me but I'd add the extract in the boil at 10 mins to help dissolve it. Pour in a little bit at a time and stir so it doesn't scorch on the bottom

The recipes look good to me but I'd add the extract in the boil at 10 mins to help dissolve it. Pour in a little bit at a time and stir so it doesn't scorch on the bottom
Great, I've heard that adding DME while it's still boiling may effect the colour but I don't think it will make much of a difference.

My daughter bought me The Brew Your Own Big Book of Clone Recipes. It's an American publication (quarts, degrees F) but does at least give equivalents. Many recipes give a partial mash or 'extract with grains' option. I've not yet tried any but I've only just got back into beer after a hiatus. ISBN is 978-0-7603-5786-6

available here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brew-Your-...f+clone+recipes&qid=1622572396&s=books&sr=1-1

With a grain bill that size your not far off as by the look it's only 1.5kg away.
Check your IBU'S on the hops as you have no alpha acid percentage listed as different varieties of the same hops whether it be year or where they're grown will make a big difference.
As mentioned when adding your DME take the pan off the heat and stir in gently and slowly to avoid scorching and clumping and 10mins is a good call as the longer it boils the more it will caramelise and darken down.

Latest posts

Back