U Fleku

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawfordid

Reaction score
Hi guys thought id post my version of Pragues legend brewery pub U Fleku. Ive stolen the recipe from the mad fermentationist with a couple of changes:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2015/12/tmave-pivo-czech-dark-lager.html

Recipe

Malt:
2.7 kg Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner
1.55 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.68 kg Weyermann Caramunich II
0.3 kg Weyermann Carafa Special II

Hops:
26g of Sterling 10.6% AA at beginning of boil
50g of Czech Saazs 2.19% AA at 5 mins from end

Yeast:
Whitelabs WLP800 Pilsner Lager

A 2 stage starter was created to generate enough yeast cells 4 days before brewday.

I decided to go for a decoction mash instead of a multi stage infusion mash that the madfermationist performed. Main reasons behind this were that I wanted real Czech authenticity and given its a 500 year old brewery and they haven't changed their recipe imagine they are still doing this. I also feel that the benefits to the malt flavour performing this type of mash would make this beer that much more special.

Plan was for double decoction
Protein Rest @ 53 degrees centigrade
Saach rest @ 65 degrees centigrade
Mash out at 77 degrees centigrade

On Brewday:

3.5 L/kg of grain, creating strike volume of 18.5 litres and strike temp of 57 degrees centigrade. Got temp of 52.5. Rested for 15 mins

1st THICK Decoction taken from mash - about 8 litres taken and heated to temp of 65 and rested here for 20 mins. Then boiled for 15 mins before adding back to mash. Getting temp of about 63 degrees centigrade. Left for 40 mins to rest at this stage.

2nd THIN decoction taken from mash - about 11 litres taken and boiled for 15 mins before adding back to mash giving temp of about 77 for mash out. (smelt amazing lovely caramel and malt :thumb: )

The mash was then recicrulated then 27 litres of wort collected via fly sparge.

The wort was then boiled for 70 minutes with the sterling being added at the start and irish moss, yeast nutrient and Saaz hops added at the end. Wort was then cooled and yeast pitched at 12 degrees centigrade.

Starting Gravity 1.056

I'm planning on following the brulosophy guidance on lagering

http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

So fingers crossed this turns out okay! A few things that I was curious about if anyone had opinions on were:

I put the speciality malts in the main mash and I note a few people have added it sometimes after the first decoction and some at the vorlauf stage. Does this make much difference??

Do many other people have experience with decoction mashs - would they change anything from the above. I found it quite confusing going through all the info on it as every 'how to' guide gives you different instructions.

And lastly I didn't do a second Saach rest like the mad fermanationist as wasn't sure if it would add a huge amount given as from what I understood you either choose a lower saach temp i.e. 63-65 (to make a more fermentable wort and dry finish) or a higher saach temp 67 - 70 (to make a less fermentable wort and a sweeter finish) and that will help characterise your beer but not both

As always any help or advice greatly appreciated

Photos added below

Photos attached

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

I also brewed mine today but my Geterbrewed order came all ground together (not their fault but I'll know in future) so slightly simplified recipe from yours.

2250g Pilsner Malt
675g Caramunich Malt
235g Carafa II

15g Sterling 60m
30g Saaz 15m
250g DME as a starter

1 Pkt Bohemian Lager Yeast

Brew went well but I had to top up. I'm losing too much in the mash and boil. I also only mashed once, used my brew fridge's Inkbird and recirculated the mash every so often (went well btw). OG was 1.046 but it will be higher as I added my starter (not sure how to add it to my OG)

Beer is fermenting at room temp now but I'll transfer to my fridge tomorrow @ 10°

Tell me how your beer gets on.

I also brewed mine today but my Geterbrewed order came all ground together (not their fault but I'll know in future) so slightly simplified recipe from yours.

2250g Pilsner Malt
675g Caramunich Malt
235g Carafa II

15g Sterling 60m
30g Saaz 15m
250g DME as a starter

1 Pkt Bohemian Lager Yeast

Brew went well but I had to top up. I'm losing too much in the mash and boil. I also only mashed once, used my brew fridge's Inkbird and recirculated the mash every so often (went well btw). OG was 1.046 but it will be higher as I added my starter (not sure how to add it to my OG)

Beer is fermenting at room temp now but I'll transfer to my fridge tomorrow @ 10°

Tell me how your beer gets on.

you not use any Munich malt? You starting it at room temp to get it going before chilling it? Will be curious to know how yours turns out! I'm not gonna lie the decoction mash dosent half add to your brewday! If yours turns out well Ill prob have anther go at it with just a single infusion mash and compare

:thumb:

I thought the Caramunich was the right stuff? Oh well if not it'll still get drunk and I'll tweak the recipe.

It was bubbling away this morning, maybe I should have put it in the fridge a bit sooner, I hope there are no off flavours produced from the yeast.

Brewing this style of beer is my whole reason for brewing so I'll keep tweaking until I get it right.

Think it was caramunich, Munich, Pilsner and Carafa 3. The mad fermentation oat recipe substituted the Munich for the floor malted bohemian dark! I'm sure it will taste ace regardless!

I thought the Caramunich was the right stuff? Oh well if not it'll still get drunk and I'll tweak the recipe.

It was bubbling away this morning, maybe I should have put it in the fridge a bit sooner, I hope there are no off flavours produced from the yeast.

Brewing this style of beer is my whole reason for brewing so I'll keep tweaking until I get it right.

How is yours turning out? Just tasted mine before I bottle it and it seems to be bang on! Can't wait for it to carbonate and be drunk! So damn happy!! :thumb:

How is yours turning out? Just tasted mine before I bottle it and it seems to be bang on! Can't wait for it to carbonate and be drunk! So damn happy!! :thumb:

I've a stout to bottle tomorrow but I was gonna leave the beer another week. Now you've bottled yours I may just do mine :smile:

I bottled this on Tuesday and couldn't resist a bottle just now (while I brew a SMASH).

Understandably it's a bit flat but still has a little fizz, it's very coffee like but is definitely a lager. I expect this will mature very well and the coffee will mellow. Does it taste like U Fleku? Not really from what I remember but it's definitely quaffable and a good recipe to delve into more.

I also bottled a house stout - my best brew to date. My basic recipe that I tweak each time:

3kg Maris Otter
1kg Flaked Barley
500g Roast Barley

any suitable hop and S04 or S05.

This brew I used 100g of Acidulated Malt, 200g DME (for a starter) and S04 and what a transformation. This is very Guinness like and my best beer to date.

The reason it's a house stout is because all those grains are in sizes the shop sells so no measuring or wastage and a really simple recipe. This U Fleku clone reminds me of a stout but it's definitely a lager style. I may try a lager yeast on my house stout recipe some time and see how it turns out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back