Up front Brewing: Das ist Techno Sex & Upfront Clemanade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Queen's Knot Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was out for a meal out with a great friend at Stereo Glasgow a couple of weeks ago - rather fun student vibe there which helps me not feel quite so old Stereo - Home

They do some interesting beers which I've not tried anywhere else before, so much to my friend's amusement, I photographed the can. We were there last year as well and I had a similar beer from the same brewery Up Front Brewing, which I've now read up on a bit. They brew on other brewery's equipment when available which is pretty cool in itself, and they have some great designs on their cans... properly smart rather than the confused or provocatively technicolour that seems in vogue for craft brewing at the moment. This visit I tried Upfront Clemanade which was a lighter version of the Das ist techno sex which was the beer I tried last visit. I didn't take a photo of the can last time but both were good. On balance I think I preferred the Das Ist' beer, so the ask really is how to approach making a Gose... never made one before and not a clue about when to add the fruit or coriander in a beer such as this. Any pointers much appreciated, recipes would be brilliant 😍.
IMG_0819.jpeg

I would suggest not kettle souring but co-pitching with Lallemand WildBrew Sour Pitch, it is a pure culture that is hop intolerant so even if you do not kill it all when you clean your equipment afterwards it cannot infect your hopped wort. It seems expensive but you only need to use 1-2g per standard batch. There is a very good overview of the process here.
The brewery from that beer (I would hesitate to really call it a Gose but as a homebrewer it doesn't really matter about the name) used a fairly new yeast that is unusual in that it also creates lactic acid (so they did not kettle sour) but there is no real benefit to doing it with that either.
Also don't use pink Himalayan salt, apparently (not something I have encountered but I have seen it mentioned more than once) sometimes it can taste like blood in beer, probably something you want to avoid unless making a black pudding beer. ;)

I would suggest not kettle souring but co-pitching with Lallemand WildBrew Sour Pitch, it is a pure culture that is hop intolerant so even if you do not kill it all when you clean your equipment afterwards it cannot infect your hopped wort. It seems expensive but you only need to use 1-2g per standard batch. There is a very good overview of the process here.
The brewery from that beer (I would hesitate to really call it a Gose but as a homebrewer it doesn't really matter about the name) used a fairly new yeast that is unusual in that it also creates lactic acid (so they did not kettle sour) but there is no real benefit to doing it with that either.
Also don't use pink Himalayan salt, apparently (not something I have encountered but I have seen it mentioned more than once) sometimes it can taste like blood in beer, probably something you want to avoid unless making a black pudding beer. ;)
Wow that link on processes for sour beers is really interesting. It is an area I'd like to try and for now will try the Philly sour and depending on how well this works may then branch into copitching. Very helpful thanks.

Hi.
I brewed my first Gose last year and I must say I found it a big success. The basic recipe gave a sour wheat beer but I experimented and added some dried orange peel to the keg and this really acme out well. For souring I used the CML 3.5 yeast. This worked really well and it got down to 1016 and PH3.6 before I added some US05 to finish off. Reckon I could have left the 3.5 all the way.
Next brew I am going to split the batch into four 10l cornies and try a few different flavours. Elderflower, Rose petal and Orange along with the unadulterated.
If you are interested in Gose I have a good book on the subject I can lend you, PM address if interested and I will send it over to you.

Latest posts

Back