Ussasx - Newbies Brew Days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ussasx

Reaction score
So i thought i would start up a thread of my brew days, recipes and so forth - its the done thing. I can then start adding to the cumulative thread for how many litres we have all brewed.

6th June 2020
20L Extract Kit - Northern Brewer - Block Party Amber Ale.
Brew day went well OG of 1.043. Temp dropped 3 days after ferment start and all but stopped progress.
Bottled 20/06 with an FG of 1.016 and batch primed.

19th June 2020
Youns Peach and Passionfruit Cider Kit.
Followed instructions - amazingly easy this! chuck it in a bucket and leave it. OG as expected and bubbles started quickly.

20th June 2020
Cherry and Blackcurrant Turbo Cider
500ml Lowicz Cherry Syrup
400ml Lowicz Blackcurrant Syrup
18L Basic Apple Juice
1 Litre Tea
5lvl tsp Pectolase
1L Water
3 lvl teaspoon Lactose Sweetener
OG1.052

20th June 2020
Raspberry Turbo Cider
900ml Lowicz Raspberry Syrup
16L Basic Apple Juice
1 Litre Tea
5lvl tsp Pectolase
3L Water
3 lvl teaspoon Lactose Sweetener
OG 1.050

Last edited:
26th June
Bottled Youngs Cider Kit, batch primed. FG at1.006 - bang on the recipe giving ABV of 4.8%. Tastes OK, though very sweet at themoment.

27th June
Belgian - Ish.
5kg Pilsner Malt
250g Amber Malt
250g Wheat Malt

80g Mittlefruh @90
500g Candi @10

OG was surprisingly low at 1.050 - was aiming around 1.065. I think the malts were not crushed enough. This is my first full all grain so a learning curve. In addition i planned to use a t58 but could not find it anywhere so went with an S-04. T-58 has since turned up (despite protestations it hadn't been moved - it had in fact been tidied into a "safe place").

So all in a bit of a disaster. The low OG and high initial hops made it quite bitter so will see how it comes through. S-04 started bubbling within the hour.

28th June
Moved Ciders to secondary as ferment finished. Mangrove Jack M02 took both down to an FG of 0.998 so ABVs of 7.1 and 6.8 ish.
Both will sit in secondary for three weeks before being bottled using 300ml of syrup per 20l batch (around 12g sugar per litre).

Back