Very vigorous fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiAlBrew

Reaction score
Evening all.
Yesterday evening I got a Coopers original stout on the go. Made with a tin of Coopers dark malt and a quick boil up with some molasses, fresh ginger and spices that got tipped in.

This morning there was a gentle bubble in the airlock- all good.
Tonight the thing has gone off like a rocket. Came home to find foam and yeast sludge forcing its way out of the bubbler. To avoid redecorating the ceiling and walls I have taken the bubbler off and replaced with a length of tubing to a water bottle.

It's bubbling very quickly and now and then seems to have a purge where a large surge of CO2 forces its way through. Pitch temp 17.6C. Its controlled by an inkbird and heat belt to 20C and is currently running at 20.7C (the hottest it has got so far).

Anyone else seen this?
Cheers,
M

Evening all.
Yesterday evening I got a Coopers original stout on the go. Made with a tin of Coopers dark malt and a quick boil up with some molasses, fresh ginger and spices that got tipped in.

This morning there was a gentle bubble in the airlock- all good.
Tonight the thing has gone off like a rocket. Came home to find foam and yeast sludge forcing its way out of the bubbler. To avoid redecorating the ceiling and walls I have taken the bubbler off and replaced with a length of tubing to a water bottle.

It's bubbling very quickly and now and then seems to have a purge where a large surge of CO2 forces its way through. Pitch temp 17.6C. Its controlled by an inkbird and heat belt to 20C and is currently running at 20.7C (the hottest it has got so far).

Anyone else seen this?
Cheers,
M
A lot of protein in stout, the large overactive krausens is one of the side effects of fermentation.
1706661416416.jpeg

Impressive!
A previous stout kit didn't ferment particularly quickly. I think with practice I've got better at brewing kits and getting plenty of oxygen in at the mixing stage.

The molasses are easily fermented so will get the yeast off to a flying start.
You could just take the lid off and cover with a tea towel or even just leave the krausen/ barm as cover until activity slows.

I have a Stout fermenting at the moment and was just able to catch it in time before it blew the airlock out, like you I put in a blow off tube. 24 hours later it has calmed down enough for me to put in a fresh airlock. It never ceases to amazing me how violent some fermentations can get.

I had a saison that came close, but this is the first that's tried to escape. I've only brewed from kits so far, but I'm sure rehydrating the yeast first and getting plenty of oxygen in during mixing ensures solid yeast performance

A lot of protein in stout, the large overactive krausens is one of the side effects of fermentation.
View attachment 95243
Yup my darker beers do have a dark side....

They often climb up the stairs and try to strangle me in my sleep.

My only defence being a blow off tube piped into a bottle of star san.

The bottle of star san usually gives up its life to save mine.

Latest posts

Back