Videne contact time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.25ml/L contact time is 20 minutes . . . . . of course the FDA efficiency test specifies a minimum contact time of 20 minutes no matter how effective your disinfectant.

Some authorities that I trust state that 30 seconds is more than enough ;)

In a previous thread on Videne....Parva says he:
chucked lid and tap in Videne with seal, added 2 litres Videne solution, shake like mad (with lid replaced of course) then gas up and purge solution through tap leaving rest to drain with lid off.
I have followed the same method as Para for all my 4 brews and have had no problems... ;) I use Videne for all my vessels..Although I am now wondering if I should leave it on for a longer period... :oops:

I am quite surprised at the 20 minutes required for the Videne :shock: Any other views please...Cos I don't want contaminated beers :(

I've read as per Alemans post above.
I usually give a minimum 1 minute contact time, but during the brewday I tend to be well enough organised to give it longer.
Having said that I have been known to dip and fit parts, my theory being it will still be wet with videne for at least 1 minute :roll:
I've never had a beer infected since using videne.....not that I can taste anyway.

highwayman said:
In a previous thread on Videne....Parva says he:
chucked lid and tap in Videne with seal, added 2 litres Videne solution, shake like mad (with lid replaced of course) then gas up and purge solution through tap leaving rest to drain with lid off.
I have followed the same method as Para for all my 4 brews and have had no problems... ;) I use Videne for all my vessels..Although I am now wondering if I should leave it on for a longer period... :oops:

I am quite surprised at the 20 minutes required for the Videne :shock: Any other views please...Cos I don't want contaminated beers :(
I think what Aleman was trying to say was that it may only be a matter of a minute or two for Videne to sanitise effectively but the FDA state 20 minutes for everything regardless. As Vossey said, as long as everything gets soaked in the stuff I can't see anyone having a problem.

spearmint-wino said:
Aleman said:
1.25ml/L contact time is 20 minutes
Eeek, I've been using it at 2.5ml/L :eek:
Which is also no rinse ;) standard concentration is 12.5ppm (1.25 ml 10% solution in 1 L )but you can increase that to 25ppm to get slightly better 'kill' and still be no rinse . . . oddly enough going stronger than this actually has a worse effect on 'kill' (At least for the organisms we are interested in)

Latest posts

Back