Watch NASA’s Perseverance Rover Land on Mars!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Star Trek dolly birds..
I watch the Old Star Trek on Channel 68 "Horror" 6pm to 7pm weeknights for the quality special effects, too, but the dollies seal the deal.

So, if we find persuasive evidence that life evolves if the conditions to support it merely exist, is that good news or bad news?
And, I guess, if we don't know the answer to that question, why go looking for it?

And, I guess, if we don't know the answer to that question, why go looking for it?

We have screwed this planet up probably to the point it's going to be downhill all the way from here so we need to look for others to screw up.

I was so caught up in it i didn't give it a thought i believe it took 20 seconds for the message to arrive.
It's a lot longer than that, minimum of five minutes depending on planet positions. So they have to code the robots to be able to land themselves safely no matter what gets thrown at them.

Warp speed to Genesis athumb..

They should never have cut the program in the 70s its taken a whole lifetime for me to see this.
Makes one proud just to be human.!!

How long does it take for a radio signal to go from Earth to Mars?

Answer

Radio signals are electromagnetic waves, such as light or X-ray. The speed of electromagnetic waves in vacuum, is 300000km/sec (approximately).

In order to calculate the time of travel with this speed from Earth to Mars, we need to know the distance.

When the Mars and the Earth are at the opposite sides of the Sun, the distance is the largest: approximately: 378 million km. The time needed for an electromagnetic wave to cover this distance is approximately: 21 minute.

The closest distance between Mars and Earth is 78 million km, the time in this case is: 4.3 min.

So the time of travel between Earth and Mars is between 4.3 minutes and 21 minutes, depending on the actual distance between the two planets.

Answered by: Ferenc Szekely, Ph.D., Physicist, ELTE, Budapest, Hungary

I watched it and it was amazing to see the altitude and speed reduce over just a few minutes along with the angle of decent.

It's also amazing that it arrived spot on the estimated time. They can send a probe to mars which perfectly arrives on time, but there is no chance of a train or bus turning up on time😁

Seen the company on the telly box that made the parachute. I wonder what it was made of..?
Answer: a heat resistant,high tenacity nylon.

Seen the company on the telly box that made the parachute. I wonder what it was made of..?

I haven't looked Clint but my lad recons it'll be Kevlar or a derivative he is into this sort of thing so i will take his word. ;)

He has just came back into the room and and corrected himself showing this -

The parachute, made from extremely strong nylon, has been baked at 135C to kill any microorganisms, before travelling through space at temperatures well below freezing.

A Devon company that made parachutes for the Second World War will help soften the landing of the Perseverance rover when it arrives on Mars this evening.

This animated GIF shows a successful test of the parachute that will be used to land NASA's Perseverance rover on Mars.
The images were taken on Sept. 7, 2018, during the third and final flight of the Advanced Supersonic Parachute Inflation Research Experiment (ASPIRE) project.

Credit
NASA/JPL-Caltech

24990_PIA23890-16.gif

Well I thought that having worked with Kevlar,carbon,and other hybrid aramid fibres...I suspect it's more than "nylon"...Ive seen fabrics that could be heated to 800+ celcius and return to room temperature in minutes and remain unchanged...plus other "stuff" used on rocket engine nacelles and for atmosphere re- entry...

It really is unbelivable how they managed to get there let alone land it safely.Some drivers round here cant even get to the local shops without smashing things up on the way.

Well I thought that having worked with Kevlar,carbon,and other hybrid aramid fibres...I suspect it's more than "nylon"...Ive seen fabrics that could be heated to 800+ celcius and return to room temperature in minutes and remain unchanged...plus other "stuff" used on rocket engine nacelles and for atmosphere re- entry...

I guess it'll be Nylon and something else.

If you click the Telegraph link below the quote in yellow says -
The parachute, made from extremely strong nylon, has been baked at 135C to kill any microorganisms, before travelling through space at temperatures well below freezing.23 hours ago
Devon company that made World War Two parachutes to land ...

If you are a star trek fan and i have to admit i am.
It was wonderful to see some of the original actors reprise their roles.

Scottys ashes are now amongst the stars forever.
A fitting end.

Latest posts

Back