Water Profile for Stock/Old/KK Ale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got an old timey(late 1800's-early 1900's) inspired stock ale I intend to brew sometime in the coming months:

The Maris Otter is actually GP, and the vienna a mild malt sub, plan to ferment it as usual with my Verdant/MJ Liberty Bell mix, then rack to a secondary with some boiled medium toast french oak cubes, add the Bobek dry hops and Brett C and let it go through a secondary fermentation. I will likely cut back the amount of Bobek a little bit, the goal is 1g/L in the secondary. The oak will be dosed at a little under that, and boiled so the oak flavour is as subtle as possible, I assume that even though the brewers back then did their best to have the oak barrels not impart flavour, some must have been soaked up in the finished beer, evidently by the fact they avoided american oak for vatting casks as the flavour was found to be unpleasant.
Aged for at least 5 months or until there seems to be no more Brett activity, gravity check with 3-4 weeks between them to ensure stable FG and then bottling to condition and cellaring for a few months.

Wondering about what water to target for this? I have been looking at the Graham Wheeler profiles I have based most my water on, and think either his sweet pale ale or mild profile should work best, ie a mineral rich but either slightly cl forward or slightly So4 forward profile. I usually use a slightly tweaked mild profile for my browns and milds, but as I understand it these beers were kinda dry, what do you think?
Skärmbild (38).png

Stock/Old/KK Ale? That's a list of strong versions of common weaker beers that you wouldn't try to use one profile to cover. Do as you are doing: Base your selection on what your beer roughly is. "Olds" are (usually) strong aged milds, "stock" a strong pale ale, and same for "KK" assuming you mean a "Burton" type beer. I've a 1939 "Burton" planned for the coming days and will use Graham's "Sweet Pale Ale" profile for that (ignoring that 20th century "Burtons" were fairly dark; they weren't always) as it will be fairly bitter despite its ancient "Ale" heritage.

I suppose what I am after is a sort of Burton or Stock ale, although there seems to have been some overlap between the 3 at the later part of their height.
I suppose the sweet pale ale profile will be good for what I intend with this beer to avoid a cloying sweetness.
Just looking at the recipe and comparing the OG and IBU might be misleading as the Brett going to work, long aging and inevitable slight oxidation will both fade a fair part of the bitterness and add to the percieved sweetness even though the final gravity will likely be in the low teens.

Back