Weird/store cupboard fermentables?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
I’ve currently only got about 2.5kg pale ale malt left and no plans to buy any more this side of Xmas. I’ve been doing allot of reading up about unusual brewing adjuncts some people have tried with good results.
These are things like:
Porridge oats
Cornflakes
Shredded wheat
Basmati rice
The list goes on but I’d like other peoples input with their experiences using these things. Can I for instance use my 2.5kg pale ale malt plus oats, cornflakes or rice etc to build the grist up to around 5kg so I can actually make a beer that not only tastes great but is around the 5% abv mark?
Brewfather seems to think rolled oats for example has the same fermentability as pale ale malt?
Cheers!
Dave

All of what you list are grain and can be used at an adjunct. Be aware that breakfast cereal has a fair amount of added salt though.

I've used cornflakes instead of flaked maize before, and shreddies instead of flaked wheat. The extra sugar in the shreddies just gets fermented anyway, and the amount of salt didn't make much difference, but I only used about 300g

I've used porridge oats in stouts and saison and brewed with rice (20%) before. The rice will require cooking.

Only having 50% of the grist as malted barley cause issues that'll require managing, such as lower mash enzymes and nutrients in the resulting wort. And none of them will taste malty.

Other options are flour, potatoes, pasta...

I made this a few years ago, turned out well MyQul's Brewday
This brewday thread looks interesting! I’ve done a bit of searching for corn flakes without all the salt and it’s difficult BUT I found one brand that looks good. Anyone have any thoughts on the other ingredients in these corn flakes?

Attachments

• IMG_9780.png
    IMG_9780.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9779.png
    IMG_9779.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9781.png
    IMG_9781.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn’t go above 10% on rolled oats if I were you: you’ll just get porridge instead of mash.
For the amount of cornflakes you’d have to buy, wouldn‘t you be better off getting some more grain?
This is my recipe so far, I’m aiming for a Belgian golden strong(ish) I got hold of another couple of kg of pale malt so now have 4.5kg. I have the wheat malt so decided to use it up.

Attachments

• IMG_9776.png
    IMG_9776.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
Should be good - I’d go for quite a wet mash if I were you, and if possible dough in at 50°c before raising to mashing temp
I just have an InfuSsion mash tun, 3 vessel set up so no fancy grainfather for me lol. I was thinking of adding the 300g corn flakes to the recipe too but dunno if it will add anything

I just have an InfuSsion mash tun, 3 vessel set up so no fancy grainfather for me lol. I was thinking of adding the 300g corn flakes to the recipe too but dunno if it will add anything
You can still do it with a 3 vessel setup: you just add most of the water at a lower temp, let it sit for a bit and then top it up to the final volume with hotter water.
To work out how much water of each temp to use, look up “mash infusion calculator” e.g. Mash Infusion and Rest Schedule Calculator - Brewer's Friend
Starting at a low temp won’t be so important if you’re not recirculating during the mash, but it will improve your efficiency and runoff athumb..

Back