When will you make an end? Elderflower wine query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LottieWine

Reaction score
In the classic film Agony & The Ecstasy Pope Julius II, when concerned about the time taking to complete the Sistine Chapel ceiling, asks Michelangelo “When will you make an end?”. To which Michelangelo replies, “When I am finished“

I seem to be having a similar relationship with my Elderflower wine. After primary fermentation it was put into demijohns on 15th June. It was racked on 2nd July with a further racking on 4th August. Fermentation seemed to slow right down & I had hoped to have it finished by now. It’s now bubbling at a pretty rapid rate (much faster than wine made at the beginning of July & another made at the beginning of August). I was planning on leaving it in the demijohns for a few more months before bottling.

Am wondering if this is normal for Elderflower?

With fruit wines I just keep racking off until it's finished, half a dozen times or so maybe. There's usually a lot of trub to drop out, taking your time produces nice clear wine.
At first each time usually kick-starts the yeast, I top up with a little grape juice to help it along.
Of the country wines I've made elderberry takes longer than any other to
mature, I prefer to mix it with blackberry and drink it younger.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I guess I need some patience. The wine is pretty clear but on close inspection there is a very thin layer of debris on the bottom. I will rack it again this week and take a reading with a hydrometer.

To clarify, this is Elderflower wine, not Elderberry.

To clarify, this is Elderflower wine, not Elderberry.

Sorry my bad, it'll be drinkable much quicker then.
I just looked at my log and I made a batch of elderflower last year that I sugar primed in a keg after around a month.
With elderflower for me the enjoyment is the floral freshness so I don't wait to start drinking it (though also let some mature).

Did you take readings ? If you know your wine has reached required gravity it's just a case of racking and letting it clear sufficiently.
Also, it gives you the option of bottling with some residual sugar to carbonate,
or letting it ferment out and adding some.

I'm having the same issue with a batch of Elderflower - I'm pretty sure it's malolactic fermentation - a long slow secondary wherein the yeast eats the lactic acid in the brew, ending up eventually with a much smother wine. Let it go till all fine bubbles have stopped, then bottle.

I treated this year's elderflower wine more like beer with some success (as long as you don't mind it being cloudy)
So I only used 1/2 the sugar so it's around 6%
Put into beer bottles at 2 months with 2g priming sugar to make it sparkle.

I'm having the same issue with a batch of Elderflower - I'm pretty sure it's malolactic fermentation - a long slow secondary wherein the yeast eats the lactic acid in the brew, ending up eventually with a much smother wine. Let it go till all fine bubbles have stopped, then bottle.
Interesting, I will look up malolactic fermentation. It’s producing very fine bubbles which are different to the initial fermentation. This batch (2 djs) was made from a recipe in Suzy Atkins How to make your own drinks. It’s meant to make an ‘appealing, light, Muscatty still wine.

Edit; I’ve just remembered that I hybridised the recipe after looking at English Country Life on YouTube. Their Elderflower recipe had the addition of raisins. I had some sultanas in the cupboard, so chopped them up & put them into the must. Maybe that’s what has caused the malolactic fermentation?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back