Wherry - Day 11 SG query and glass bottle cleaning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shd

Reaction score
Hi all.....just a little bit of guidance please

I started my Woodforde's Wherry brew on Sunday 15th Oct so today is day 11
The instructions say to allow 7-10 days so is it time for its first gravity reading yet (with its 2nd reading 24 hours later) or should i leave a day or so longer ?
The airlock doesn't seem to be bubbling at all now

Secondly, i've got some brand new glass bottles this time, rather than using PET, and also metal caps
Should i dunk both bottles and caps in VWP for a period of time and then rinse both and leave to dry, or as i have some Chemsan also, would it suffice just sanitising the bottles and lids on bottling day ?

TIA

Hi all.....just a little bit of guidance please

I started my Woodforde's Wherry brew on Sunday 15th Oct so today is day 11
The instructions say to allow 7-10 days so is it time for its first gravity reading yet (with its 2nd reading 24 hours later) or should i leave a day or so longer ?
The airlock doesn't seem to be bubbling at all now

Secondly, i've got some brand new glass bottles this time, rather than using PET, and also metal caps
Should i dunk both bottles and caps in VWP for a period of time and then rinse both and leave to dry, or as i have some Chemsan also, would it suffice just sanitising the bottles and lids on bottling day ?

TIA
I agree about leaving any brew for 14 days before thinking about what to do next.

cheers @Rwilts @Slid

2 weeks is good as that's Sunday but i 'spose any additional sensible time wont harm, correct ?
what would be the maximum as brew should be left for as surely the dates given by manufacturers are their best practice and after all, it's their product and recipe ?

done this kit loads of time do hurry it keep the fermenter shut I test when packaging I always sanitise new bottles after a light wash just to be sure they are clean don't overdue the sugar in the bottles

done this kit loads of time do hurry it keep the fermenter shut I test when packaging I always sanitise new bottles after a light wash just to be sure they are clean don't overdue the sugar in the bottles
Hey @allotment_fox thanks for reply

I assume you mean “don’t” hurry it, not do, correct ?

Re: sugar, I was going to use 1, 1.5 and 2 carbonation drops, and some with 1/2 tspn granulated sugar

From your experience of the Wherry, which would you suggest ?

yes sorry “don’t” hurry it, one carb drop or half a tea spoon will be fine, this beer is a good kit beer never let me down over the years now they have increased the amount of yeast with the ki. Its better left to condition, it is stronger than the draft Wherry you buy in the pub but the taste is very near to the real thing.
Enjoy

PS try not over do the sugar or you risk over carbing the bottles (could break ) if you do over carb poor into a 1or 2 ltr jug before pooring into a pint glass after the foam has settled. all homebrewers overcarb at some point

@allotment_fox - have you had any bottles break with the Wherry due to over carb'ing ?
on my previous brew which was my first ever (a St Peters Ruby), i did 1 drop, 1.5 drops and 2 drops in 10 bottles each, and then the remaining 8 bottles were 1/2 tsp
some of the 1 droppers were flat but i'm not sure whether that was due to the bottles not being done up properly although they should've been, or the temp in the house as we were on vacation

No broken bottles with Wherry from what I recall, but due to saving beer bottles over the years the few that have burst had the bottom blown these were clear newcastle brown crown top types

Why not carb and try a few with a bit extra, Has brewers we love to experiment a bit but go for the thicker glass bottles if you can, for the most part these days I keg my beer and the leftovers go into bottle

I'm sure there is a thred on here about Wherry

On the cleaning side.
I always clean my bottles & caps with a vwp equivelent, but remember to rinse them well.

These type of sterilisers (I'm currently using a Young's branded one) have always worked fine for me & so I will stick with what I know, especially as most of my bottles are recycled to me.

On the cleaning side.
I always clean my bottles & caps with a vwp equivelent, but remember to rinse them well.

These type of sterilisers (I'm currently using a Young's branded one) have always worked fine for me & so I will stick with what I know, especially as most of my bottles are recycled to me.
Thanks @jof
I’ll give them a vwp thrn
No harm done just an hour or so and I need a solution anyway to clean my siphon 👍

So today is day 14 so with no activity for a good few days in the airlock I’ve taken a hydrometer reading
See attached photos

Is it just me or is it really difficult to read accurately due to the bubbles or am I being thick ?
I saw a guy in the USA on YouTube using a refractometer….does anyone else use one or simply stick to a standard hydrometer ?

It tasted fine and smelt lovely btw 😀

Attachments

• IMG_5572.jpeg
    IMG_5572.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5576.jpeg
    IMG_5576.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
Give the hydrometer a spin to dissipate the bubbles .

Looks like 1.008 to me athumb..

I use a refractometer pre fermentation but they require a bit of work post due to the method they use is to measure the sugar in liquid , which isn't the same as alcohol .

Tried the spinning trick but didn’t move many @Rwilts
Looks like when I started it was around 1038 but I agree looks like 1008
The instructions say needs to be consistently below 1014 so I’ll take another reading tomorrow and if I get the same I’ll get bottling 😀

I struggle with bubbles most of the time too. Just bought a big scale hydrometer where the intervals are about twice as big as normal which makes it a lot easier. Even with the bubbles you can just read below and above and estimate where the reading is quite accurately.

Latest posts

Back