Wilko Hoppy Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still learning a lot, so what would you use the 500g Medium Spray Dried Malt for, and when would you use it? is it like to give it extra flavour/body as to speak?

Thanks
One can kits normally require the addition of extra sugars in some form or another to boost the fermentables to produce beer of a reasonable %ABV. So the extras called for usually come in the form of dextrose, malt extract (either dried or liquid) or beer/brew enhancer. Dextrose adds no flavour, it just gets entirely fermented out and can thin the beer especially if a 1.5 kg kit is being used, malt extract adds body and flavour and mostly gets fermented out but may be a bit too malty in some beers if nothing else is used, and beer enhancer, which contains a mix of dry malt extract, dextrose and occasionally maltodextrin which doesn't ferment out but is used for body, is sort of in the middle. So the often used compromise is to use 500g dextrose and 500g malt extract. Although there are permutations on this and other sugars can be used like table sugar or golden syrup, and less or more sugars can be added according to the target ABV.

nice one, thanks, I've used the enhancers for the brews and they are of course a lot nicer than not having an additional additive. I really enjoyed them.

My mistake, I thought that was a 1kg of sugar, and 1kg of enhancer, but it's 50/50.

I was thinking of some yeast enhancer....Question....Is it like throwing a bucket of KFC at the yeast when they are most hungry! ?

nice one, thanks, I've used the enhancers for the brews and they are of course a lot nicer than not having an additional additive. I really enjoyed them.

My mistake, I thought that was a 1kg of sugar, and 1kg of enhancer, but it's 50/50.

I was thinking of some yeast enhancer....Question....Is it like throwing a bucket of KFC at the yeast when they are most hungry! ?
If by yeast enhancer you mean yeast nutrient for beer brewing there is usually no need to use it imo. If you use a sufficient quantity of yeast within date at the correct pitching temperature, add it to a well aerated wort, and you ferment in the correct temperature range for that yeast you will normally ferment out your beer as intended, accortding to the capability of the yeast. And whether you sprinkle dried yeast onto the wort or rehydrate before pitching doesn't seem to make all that much difference, although some will no doubt disagree with that. I dont use liquid beer yeasts so can't comment on them.
However if you are wine making, yeast nutrient may be needed according to what you are making

Oh right thanks for that info, yes that's what I was thinking "yeast enhancer" and yeah my mate said that he sprinkles his on and swears by it, where mine, I smash it all together in a frenzied mixing maneuver. Well not that bad but I mix it in a lot and get lots of air into the mix, as I said to him that they need air and food!

Thanks again, learning loads ain't I ?

:)

I realised I haven't offered OP any advice. Best advice I can offer is to get your next kit ready. The kits only take about a week to ferment and once you've bottled and cleaned out the bucket the best thing to do is just chuck another kit in and get that going. My reasoning is that you don't lose any days production and you'll only have to clean the bucket again before starting the second kit, so you might as well do it all the same day and just clean it the once.

I realised I haven't offered OP any advice. Best advice I can offer is to get your next kit ready. The kits only take about a week to ferment and once you've bottled and cleaned out the bucket the best thing to do is just chuck another kit in and get that going. My reasoning is that you don't lose any days production and you'll only have to clean the bucket again before starting the second kit, so you might as well do it all the same day and just clean it the once.

This is solid alcoholic advise! I do it, thank fu*k it's not just me...LOL

Latest posts

Back