Will adding extra yeast help?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am about to brew a Muntons Gold Imperial Stout kit. Reviews I have read say these kits regularly stall around 1020 with some citing the small amount of kit yeast supplied as being the problem.
I have another bog standard 6g yeast satchel available would it be an idea to add this or might this effect the taste etc and prove more trouble than its worth?

I am about to brew a Muntons Gold Imperial Stout kit. Reviews I have read say these kits regularly stall around 1020 with some citing the small amount of kit yeast supplied as being the problem.
I have another bog standard 6g yeast satchel available would it be an idea to add this or might this effect the taste etc and prove more trouble than its worth?
Extract or all-grain? What's the original gravity? Batch size?

It's a 2 can extract kit from muntons.
It makes 40 pints and claims an abv of 4.5%

If it really is an Imperial Stout it should be more like 8 or 10% ABV and would need two 11g packets of yeast.

A 4.5% stout should be happy with one packet

"Yes" is the answer - 6g just isn't enough yeast for 40 pints.

I've not bought a kit for many years, but just got Muntons Midas Touch and it too comes with a 6g packet of yeast. I thought they got rid of these small packets of yeast years ago as they were one of the reasons for the infamous "1020 stuck brew", I shall be using a full 12g pack of yeast with mine and recommend you do the same: 6g just isn't enough, especially when brewing in winter with potential low house temperatures.

You could mix 2 packets but I'd just get another 12g packet of yeast.

Latest posts

Back