Wort temperature when pitching yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning,

I think I've screwed up here!

I did an AG brew on Sunday, chilled it and checked the temp before transferring it to the FV and the temp was 25C so I pitched the yeast but when I moved the FV, I noticed that the wort was warm so I checked again and it was 32C

It's been in the FV since Sunday night and there's no sign of fermentation starting.

What are my options here?

Well if its the case your yeast is now dead and not in some state of suspended animation from which it might wake up from and start working then all you have is wort with some dead yeast floating around in it so no harm in pitching more yeast and going again now you're at temp.

I pretty much exclusively use dried yeast now and aim to pitch at the upper end of the temp range so pitch high and as the yeast is hydrating and waking up the wort is cooling more towards the target fermentation temp. I think ......no scientific experiments done here....that I get better results here in how quickly the yeast starts to kick off....anyway wether it makes a difference or not it's a habit I've got into and seems to work consistently well with fermentation always kicking off within 24hrs, sometimes quicker if its a different yeast like Kveik, which doesn't seem to give a **** about anything. However 32 degrees is a bit warm probably. No harm in re-pitching though.

I second @hoppyscotty. I do exactly the same, pitch dry yeast a few degrees higher than optimum target, whilst wort is still cooling. After 24h the yeast is hydrated, it’s hit the optimum temperature and she’s ready to go.

Morning,

I think I've screwed up here!

I did an AG brew on Sunday, chilled it and checked the temp before transferring it to the FV and the temp was 25C so I pitched the yeast but when I moved the FV, I noticed that the wort was warm so I checked again and it was 32C

It's been in the FV since Sunday night and there's no sign of fermentation starting.

What are my options here?
Have you identified what caused the incorrect first temperature reading ?

no scientific experiments done here....that I get better results here in how quickly the yeast starts to kick off.
Yup sure will. I do the same with bread and wine. The quantity of yeast also helps it accelerate away. I use a dual pitch, (1 sachet Windsor & 1Nottingham) that gets going and gets done really quick.

I pitch 120g in my wine, and I know it will be done in 9 days running at 25°c

Latest posts

Back