Yeast sediment (bottle conditioning)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Hello all

Have a question about yeast sediment.

Basically I have just cracked open the first bottle of my second brew and the yeast sediment is different to the first batch I brewed. Just curious, so please share your thoughts if you can be bothered.

A bit of background.

First batch was a St Peters Ruby Red kit (LME x 2, hop power and yeast x 1 packet). All went relatively well and primed the bottles individually with table sugar to carbonate/condition. Once ready the yeast sediment formed in to small clumps/flecks.

The second/current batch is a Tiny Rebel Cwtch kit (LME x 2, hop pellets and yeast packets x 2). I also added beer enhancer and grapefruit peel to a kind of mini boil then after a week dry hopped with mosaic pellets and added more peel. Again I primed all the bottles individually but with brewing sugar (dextrose). Just poured it and the yeast sediment has formed into a thick liquid/slurry.

Not bothered by either (probably prefer the latter so I can pour it in as i prefer a hazy beer over a clear beer) just wondered why.

The gravity readings/ABV were different for both, but not sure if that matters.

Many thanks for any help in advance chaps and chapesses....

Gggsss I had the exact same thing with my st peters red! Never had that happen before, as for the other maybe it might just needs time to settle in the bottles.
I have a couple of tips that might help
1. store all your bottles upright when conditioning and when in the fridge
2. When you pour from the bottle slow down near the end of the bottle and stop as soon you see and cloudy brew coming out
Don't forget to rinse out your bottles leaving it easier for next time.
Hope this is of some help

Thanks for the feedback Farley, I appreciate it. I do all that you suggested. As mentioned I expect and embrace yeast sediment so not the issue. Just wondered why the form of the sediment was different. Just me over-analysing...

Cheers geez

MrRook... Thanks for the reply. Top man..

Not sure as the yeast on both occasions as supplied within the kit. Only info i can remember is that the St P kit had 1 x 6g sachet and the Tiny Rebel 2 x 6g sachets. On the packets it just stated "Yeast".

I assume by your response that different yeasts will result in different styles/forms of sediment....

From now on I will be creating my own recipes so will know the exact yeast and can monitor results....

Latest posts

Back