Magnum Pear Cider Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Made exactly as per the instruction on the tin...
After 1 month :sick:
After 3 months :sick:
after 6 months :sick:
after 1 year :sick:
at that point I poured it all down the drain

made mine just over a month ago and to be honest its pretty awfull :sick: at the moment its just tastes so chemical, i dont hold out much hope im afraid but will leave it till the summer and then i guess it will go down the drain :eek:
ill stick to turbo if i need any cider but for the moment ill stay with the beer as all iv tried so far have been excellent :clap:

I made it before and it took months before it was drinkable, the pear taste was really false and chemically. I forgot about it and came back to it after about 10 months and it was actually nice! but not worth the time it took, the other magnum kits are better and havnt taken as long to become drinkable :thumb:

I have done the Strawberry kit as i read a few bad reviews on the pear and unfortunately its not much better, after 12 months its almost drinkable :sick:

The magnum pear cider kit was the first kit that I ever made. I've got to agree that it does have a chemical pear taste. It does get better with age in my opinion but it doesn't go completely ( that I know of). But I didn't mind the cider and I did drink almost all mine after a few months or so. I probably wouldn't make it again but it's not the worst thing I've made :D

Magnum apple Cider kit has been my first attempt to brew. It was rather good (not as good as TC tho). If I remember correctly the instruction said to mature for two weeks, which was a lie. it does take at least two-3 months to mature into a decent drink, a bit less if you want it sweet!

Have to agree with all the previous posts, undrinkable chemical taste. Was my 2nd brew I ever made so it's been conditioning for 4+ months. Opened one by mistake the other day thinking it was my desperados brew, had a taste and poured it straight down the sink.

The only way I've found to slightly save it is to wait until you are drunk already, add equal parts lemonade and try not to smell it as you take a sip. It's really that bad!

I have just bottled my Magnum Strawberry cider and i was quite sceptical about how it would taste because read lots of reviews about it smelly quite 'eggy' but have a few mouthfuls while syphoning and it tasted quite alright my missus thought so too but said it wasnt very strawberry flavoured.

i think it just may be different bataches and lucky or unlucky, will keep posting in a few weeks to how drinkable it is.

I thought it was quite drinkable actually, but not what I was after from a Pear Cider. I was advised to only add half the sachet of the pear flavouring, so that might be why I could tolerate the flavour more. I do understand what you mean by chemically though as it makes it taste like pear drops.

I'm still hoping somebody will do a kit that produces a pear cider close to that of Kopparberg, there is very little to choose from.

The Finlandia Apple & Pear Cider is the best cider kit I've done so far. So very very drinkable.

I've got one of these kits waiting to be brewed, and looking at the above comments it seems it was the wrong choice. But hey ho, I've already bought it and it's getting brewed lol.

Do any of you have any advice regarding this kit to improve its flavour? Or would I be best just to brew it and put up with the artificial pear-drop flavour. :hmm:

I think I'll just go with half the flavour sachet as LeJimster suggests, but if anyone else has any info on how to improve this kit it would be greatly appreciated.

Earpworm said:
I've got one of these kits waiting to be brewed, and looking at the above comments it seems it was the wrong choice. But hey ho, I've already bought it and it's getting brewed lol.

Do any of you have any advice regarding this kit to improve its flavour? Or would I be best just to brew it and put up with the artificial pear-drop flavour. :hmm:

I think I'll just go with half the flavour sachet as LeJimster suggests, but if anyone else has any info on how to improve this kit it would be greatly appreciated.

If it were me I wouldn't put the sachet in at all ;)

I'm glad these reviews are here as I quite enjoyed the magnum cider kit, I would probably have tried the pear next.

I'm wondering whether adding some pure pear juice to the FV instead of the flavour sachet may improve the kit :hmm:

Or I might just brew up a gallon of Turbo Perry :D

Or both.

Earpworm said:
I'm wondering whether adding some pure pear juice to the FV instead of the flavour sachet may improve the kit :hmm:

Or I might just brew up a gallon of Turbo Perry :D

Or both.

Can you get pear juice? I've not managed to find any, I ended up making a perry TC using fresh pears, smells rank lol.

I've seen tinned pear quarters in pure pear juice from concentrate in tesco, may take about 8 tins or so to make a gallon, also might wanna add some extra sugar and yeast nutrient too.

Blend up the pear quarters and strain them through a seive and add to the pear juice.

Earpworm said:
I've seen tinned pear quarters in pure pear juice from concentrate in tesco, may take about 8 tins or so to make a gallon, also might wanna add some extra sugar and yeast nutrient too.

Blend up the pear quarters and strain them through a seive and add to the pear juice.

good to know, most of them i've seen come in grape juice or water :thumb:

Started this yesterday, might name it 'Toxic Waste' with the reputation it has on this forum.

The kit was a very dark brown and had the aroma of toffee to a certain degree, certainly couldn't smell any pear.

I'll see what it's like in about a month lol.

Latest posts

Back