California connoisseur Rioja Tinto (6 Bottle)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cononthebarber

Landlord.
Reaction score
So i started this kit as a "tester" as it was on sale at my LHBS for only £11 and fancied giving a wine kit a go.

I followed the instructions very carefully and the only addition I made was adding 3g of oak granules at the beginning of fermentation...

After 28 days (or so) in the DJ I bottled and got just under 6 bottles and I must say I was very impressed. I am no wine buff but do enjoy a glass or two with meals etc...this wine has a nice full flavour and really stands up against an average supermarket bottle you might buy. I would gladly pay £3 or £4 for a bottle of this with no complaints.

I wouldn't say this is an award winning wine but for just over £1.80 a bottle you really cannot complain, a decent red with a good taste.

Having said all that, this wine is really only about a month in the DJ and will likely improve with age...I will keep a couple bottles back and try them again in 3-4 months and judge the difference :) all in all a high quality wine for a cheap price, you can't go wrong!

What difference do you reckon the oak granulars made. Do they give a specific flavour?

I think they are supposed to add the "barrel matured" sort of flavour...not sure I can taste it in there? Although I haven't compared it to a batch without the granules so who knows?

Back