Yeast. Survival of the Fittest?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LED_ZEP

Reaction score
Just read a thread about keeping a yeast starter and it not working well in the new brew and remembered a thought I had a while back.

I was about to start off a new ferment just as I was also racking another wine off from the first ferment. Why not use the yest from this to start the second wine, what can go wrong? I'm oft guilty of over thinking things and this though occurred:

Since the yeast cells multiply so quickly there must be a sort of natural selection. i.e the cells that survive like this level of sugar, acidity and temp etc. If you then pitch this in to another wine where one or more variables differ from the original wine have you reduced the chance of a good ferment. In other words do you start with a group of yeast cells with a more tuned tolerance compared to using a fresh pack of yeast? Or do you start with the best and healthiest cells?

Any thoughts?

Paul.

Natural selection does happen to yeast during fermentation, but it isn't the only thing. The dried or liquid yeasts you buy from the shop have been grown in high oxygen and high nutrient conditions, so they are very healthy, have plenty of sterols to build their cell walls and keep stores left to handle the growth phase of the fermentation. However, when there are in the relatively nutrient deficient and anaerobic conditions of the fermentation they have to rely on these stores and usually by the time the fermentation is finished they are in pretty poor condition. This can be rectified by aerating properly and adding some yeast nutrient when you pitch onto trub from an earlier batch and this works fine. However, the best yeast to harvest comes from the krausen, which is during the growth phase and the yeast are in good condition. Look up top-cropping if you want to have a go at this.

Latest posts

Back