£13.30 for 25kg bag of Pale Malt - North West England and the Midlands

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Stone and work in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. I don't mind passing some stuff on if required. I only live about 10 mins from J14 on the M6. I've got mates in Sandbach from when I used to live there so would probably prefer to collect from there.

What do you reckon the shelf life of crushed malts are if kept dry and cool?

Both me, my dad and brother all brew so we would probably have a few bags of 25kg pale crushed and some smaller bags of other stuff.
Hi HT

We already have over 700kg of malt likely for our next buy in Jan/Feb. This fairly and squarely means prices will be in this sort of region - (although Munton's are saying that this year has been a poor harvest so this might effect the price)

Ingredient25 Kg Sack1 Kg
Pale Planet£13.300£0.532
Extra Pale Planet£13.300£0.532
Pale Craft£13.300£0.532
Blend MO 50:50£14.850£0.594
Maris Otter£15.900£0.636
Lager£13.300£0.532
Crystal 110£19.750£0.790
Crystal 150£19.600£0.784
Crystal 240£19.600£0.784
Dark Crystal 400£18.850£0.754
Amber£21.400£0.856
Black£18.500£0.740
Cara 30£19.850£0.794
Chocolate£20.100£0.804
Munich£15.100£0.604
Roast Barley£18.000£0.720
Torrified Wheat£13.500£0.540
Wheat Crushed£15.500£0.620
Bottle Caps/Kg (inc VAT)£8.34
4 pint kegs (inc VAT)£3.00
S-04 Yeast 100 grams£7.40
1Kg orders may not happen if we can't get other
members to make up a 25Kg minimum

The malt we bought recently has a best before date two years from now. I guess that is for an unopened bag though. I would imagine, properly sealed again, an opened bag would last at least 6 months

Thanks for your offer of transporting for others - much appreciated

I will log your interest and pm you again in January

I'd be up for this, if I could collect from bodger001 & could act as further distribution from Kettering - A14 Jct10.

100kgs of malt 2x marris 1x lager 1x Pale, 500g of S04 & some caps.

Other 3kg bags - pending availability due to minimum order size? Amber, Chocolate, Roast barley would be great.

(Sorry to hijack - I will probably do a brewers select run in December if anyone wants to collect from Kettering - 1kg Hops £30 - PM me)

I'd be up for this, if I could collect from bodger001 & could act as further distribution from Kettering - A14 Jct10.

100kgs of malt 2x marris 1x lager 1x Pale, 500g of S04 & some caps.

Other 3kg bags - pending availability due to minimum order size? Amber, Chocolate, Roast barley would be great.

(Sorry to hijack - I will probably do a brewers select run in December if anyone wants to collect from Kettering - 1kg Hops £30 - PM me)
Thanks Astie for offering to be a hub in Kettering - it certainly extends our range

Good to hear from you - I will copy in @bodger001 to make sure he his aware

You are not hijacking anything - the whole idea is for like minded enthusiasts to help each other out

Will Pm you in January to take things further

I’m based in Norfolk, would be interested in making a trip across, providing we’re not still in lockdown then. Happy to be a hub for this side of the country (within reason)

I’d be interested in;
1 Maris otter
1 lager
1 munich
1 pale planet

Last edited:
clapa@Obadiah Boondoggle 800kg and a national distribution industry, how on earth you've managed it we will never know, but you certainly have, well done!

I’m based in Norfolk, would be interested in making a trip across, providing we’re not still in lockdown then. Happy to be a hub for this side of the country (within reason)
Hi Mike

As you can probably see @Astie, who lives in Kettering is willing to do some ferrying from @bodger001

Thanks for the offer of being a hub

The way current orders are going we might be able to arrange more than one drop of the malt (perhaps one nearer to you) - that's why we asked for potential interest at this stage

What might you be interested in?

Hi Mike

As you can probably see @Astie, who lives in Kettering is willing to do some ferrying from @bodger001

Thanks for the offer of being a hub

The way current orders are going we might be able to arrange more than one drop of the malt (perhaps one nearer to you) - that's why we asked for potential interest at this stage

What might you be interested in?
Hi,
I’d be interested in;

1 Maris Otter
1 Munich
1 Lager
1 Pale Planet

All the above in 25 kg, if you can only arrange a single drop, I’m happy with the drive, I’m sure I can turn into a weekend away to get the boss onboard.
Mike

Hi,
I’d be interested in;

1 Maris Otter
1 Munich
1 Lager
1 Pale Planet

All the above in 25 kg, if you can only arrange a single drop, I’m happy with the drive, I’m sure I can turn into a weekend away to get the boss onboard.
Mike
Cheers Mike - I have registered your interest and will PM you in January

Hope all is well in Norfolk

Out of interest, do you know if the brewery that’s buying this in for you is paying vat on it?

I suspect not (as they don’t need to) but the same malt being sold for homebrewing should be standard rated.

Just curious (not judging yer tax dodgers :laugh8:)

Out of interest, do you know if the brewery that’s buying this in for you is paying vat on it?

I suspect not (as they don’t need to) but the same malt being sold for homebrewing should be standard rated.

Just curious (not judging yer tax dodgers :laugh8:)

This has already been discussed in the thread.

It's getting that way Clint. We are looking at over 1000kg now.
The previous supplier can now deliver at a small cost, I don't believe we looked at delivery much last time as it was easier to do a car or two.
Once the number of orders and quantities are settled we need a good think...

But they might swap some malt for Obadiah's Coathanger Special Brew recipe.

5 kilos of Pilsner
60 minute mash at 66C

50g Saaz 60 minutes
20g Saaz 25 minutes
6g Saaz 5 minutes
1 coat hanger 30 minutes
Hat Stand at 80C for half hour.
Wouldn't the hat stand mean that the alcohol would go straight to your head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back