£2.00 for 330ml what the Funk!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems a lot of people know the price of everything and the value of nothing. I wonder how the beers would rate in a blind taste test?

Anyway, I paid £4 for a 330ml can of beer the other day. It was nice.

:popcorn:

Seems a lot of people know the price of everything and the value of nothing. I wonder how the beers would rate in a blind taste test?

Anyway, I paid £4 for a 330ml can of beer the other day. It was nice.

:popcorn:

Likely as not supporting a smaller business rather than a huge corporation in the process? athumb..

Funny thing is, often the same folks who won't pay a bit more for a beer from a smaller brewery WILL pay more to buy from a small local shop, even though they can buy the exact same product for less from a supermarket or online seller, on the basis of doing so to support a small local trader... Doh! :laugh8:

TBF Engine Oil is a decent beer!
harviestoun-old-engine-oil.jpg
This is brewed 1.5 miles away from my house!
Also, Morrisons sell a 660ml bottle of Punk for £2.50
I think it’s well worth it compared to Coors,Bud etc

Amazing how many people know what people do and think, without actually knowing what people do and think.

My dad always said the same thing to be honest Gunge, same with Duckhams. He always went to the spares shop and bought their generic oil of the correct specification. He's never owned a brand new car though either, and back in the day drove old bangers, so spending a lot on motor oil would have been silly.. lol

Oh, and I've brewed some pretty gorgeous beers to be honest, but I'm far too humble you see. ;) I would happily let anybody try my Ponder's Paradise Porter and decide for themselves how good it is, however they need to come get a bottle, I'm not paying for ruddy postage!!! asad.:laugh8:

My desktop PC is genuinely better than anything I could have bought ready built at the time I built it too... lmao

He's probably like me, too cheap to pay for the postage.... :laugh8: You seen the price of postage these days? Talk about overpriced!!! :laugh8:
I hope said desktop pc is running Ubuntu or similar and Libreoffice. Works mile better than Microsoft rubbish.

I had a Yeastie boys stout the other week, it was a blueberry waffle stout and was kinda horrible, way too sweet to the point where it didn't really taste like beer anymore. My wife drank it (we originally split it) she liked it but agreed that it wasn't like drinking a beer.

More on topic, I don't buy much beer these days but most are on par with brewdog prices as it's the more unusual "craft" styles which carry a bit of a premium. It's all research for my own brewing. :-) Badger give me happy memories as Golden Glory and First Gold were too of my first favourite beers.

golden glory & golden champion were amazing for their time. The first was peachy, the latter was tangerine-y

Been following this thread with interest. I reckon that the debate hints at why people home-brew. Some people are looking to brew (drink) reasonable beer as cheaply as possible. Others appreciate beer in a different way, and are looking for a gastronomic experience and to be creative.

There are of course those in between, myself included. Then there are some who brew the best beer in the world and eschew all others as swill aunsure....

I'm into homebrewing to brew what I like that may not be readily available out there. I can't do all of my favorite beer styles but that's the same as not being able to make/cook all of your favorite meals. :roll: About 30% of my consumption is from the supermarket. So most of what I like I brew myself.

I hope said desktop pc is running Ubuntu or similar and Libreoffice. Works mile better than Microsoft rubbish.

No, because I keep my playing to just my games, rather than my OS these days. Played with Linux distros in the past. I now run Windows 10 and I'm quite happy with an Office Home 365 sub thanks. :p Some of us know how to actually use "Microsoft rubbish" properly... :p:p

No, because I keep my playing to just my games, rather than my OS these days. Played with Linux distros in the past. I now run Windows 10 and I'm quite happy with an Office Home 365 sub thanks. :p Some of us know how to actually use "Microsoft rubbish" properly... :p:p
Yes, games developers like to cater for the biggest platform and trouser the most pennies. I like to shun the big corporations whenever possible, but it isn't always possible. It's not a million miles different in the brewing industry!

I think BrewDog has gone mainstream but don’t want to admit it.

It’s available almost everywhere now - I feel that you must lose something when you start making beers on an industrial scale.

Only £2. You don't know you're born! The one on the left, but at least there's 10% off for Fathers' Day. And it is 67.5 degrees alcohol, whatever that is in real money!
Screenshot from 2019-05-27 16-56-07.png

'craft' ... micro brewing.
We package about 10 lines in bottles in house, maybe 20 cases a week which takes about 6 hours and economically it might as well be a promotional activity rather than a money spinner?

Glass is about 21p when buying a single pallet which lasts us over 2 months and we don't buy any more because of storage limitations and some minor sanitation concerns (have to keep them in the same space as malt). Boxes are 47p each. Caps just shy of a penny when you buy in the 1,000. Labels, again in multiples of 600, good ones (foil, colour, can be applied by machine, about 14-18p each). So a case of 12 x 500ml taped up nice and externally labelled ready for delivery almost 42p a bottle in materials.

The duty on the beer at 5% is almost another 48p bottle so you are up to 90p a bottle and you've then got ingredients, utilities, depreciation, delivery, paperwork and labour as well... we are brewing the beer anyway, but the cost of that is almost another 50p a bottle.

1.40 per bottle before any money is made. I would like 30% profit on that so call it £22 a case direct to trade. I've got returns, shelf stability tests, compliance, record keeping and delivery, invoicing etc to go yet. The retailer will want 30-60% GPM on that so the bottle price the customer sees is going to be £2.65 to £4.60 ex vat.

Customer sees £3.20 - £5.50 for a 500ml 5% IPA with 'healthy' amount of ingredients. Like a 16g/L modern hop bomb. Some will be like ... sod that. Others will quite happily pay £4-5 quid for a beer. We still only see about 40p per bottle from that. Works out about £100 a week for us? For 6 hours additional packaging work and a fair bit of extra admin and paper trail.

There isn't much point in packaging twig juice because so many of the costs are fixed. I could bottle something with nothing in it that tastes like nothing that nobody but the supermarkets want and resembles so many other beers that other breweries do much better (cheaper) and it'd only be 10-20p a bottle cheaper for the customer anyway.

The point of this isn't to moan, it is just ... well why a lot of beer in bottle shops costs what it costs. Everybody with similar sized kit is in the same boat because of economies of scale. Bottling is just a bit of a laugh and some extra money, but not the main revenue stream. I think it is great for the customer because you've got people operating on margins which nobody would previously ever touch and now there is so much choice. If you start off with the idea that a bottle of beer is worth 99p and half of that is tax and the other half is packaging the cost of the beer inside has been made on pennies, even with economies of scale.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back