£52M Houses???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I looked at some places in the Hamptons (eastern Long Island in New York state) after I saw something on the TV.
There's no way a place can be worth that much.
Do you have anything like that in the UK?
Personally, I found it offensive to common sense.
PS If I put the pound sign in the wrong spot, let it go. Be appreciative that I took the time out of respect to figure out how to make one.

I looked at some places in the Hamptons (eastern Long Island in New York state) after I saw something on the TV.
There's no way a place can be worth that much.
Do you have anything like that in the UK?
Personally, I found it offensive to common sense.
PS If I put the pound sign in the wrong spot, let it go. Be appreciative that I took the time out of respect to figure out how to make one.
Was it $52m or £52m. I guess houses in London will be close. But then you can get sprawling country estates with 52 bedrooms for a couple of million

Top 10 most expensive houses in the UK in 2021/2022

1. Camp End Road, St George’s Hill, Surrey - £9,950 m

2. Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire - £13 m

3. Tangley Estate, Hampshire - £15 m

4. Mill Lane, Chiddingford - £30 m

5. Cannon Place, Hampstead, London - £32 m

6. Merton Lane, London - £40 m

7. Walton Street, Knightsbridge, London - £44 m

8. The Old Rectory, Wimbledon - £45 m

9. Belgravia, London - £77.5 m

10. Ancaster House, Mayfair, London - £250 m

52 bedrooms for a couple of million
I did the exchange from UK to US so $70M here and £52M in your neck of the woods.
That couple million is relatively reasonable. I can get that--a good chunk of change for something with a perceived value.
I cannot wrap my head around the prices I saw in the Hamptons. It must just be status.

Here, if you put out $500,000, there's never going to be anything you'd want for.

Overall, I guess I'm not surprised since we have a lot in common.
I wouldn't buy a property here for that obscene amount just because of the idea of it. I can't speak for the UK where there may be properties that have some intrinsic value that realistically adds to it. We don't have that unless you're talking about our White House or something similar.

Whenever I've seen very expensive homes on television, they seem to have been commissioned by people with no inagination or taste whatsoever with interiors to match.

Or beautiful old houses in the UK where the interior has been gutted and replaced by something so vulgar, that it's on its way to looking cheap and tacky.

The Burj al Arab hotel is a case in point. When I saw photos of one of the rooms and it's bathroom I was amazed at how cheap it looked considering how much (or more probably because of how much) gold had been used.

Or beautiful old houses in the UK where the interior has been gutted and replaced by something so vulgar, that it's on its way to looking cheap and tacky.
This!
I am so tired of seeing beautiful old victorian farms houses being gutted and fitted out like a modern 3 bedroom detached, complete with led downlighters glass staircases and super straight/sharp walls with mm perfect skirting boards etc.
It's and old wonky house, revel in its quirks.
Our house is so wonky it's hilarious. The hallway upstairs has a distinct S bend running down the hall and leans in at the top! And the kitchen door frame is 1" higher on one side than the other (that was an interesting door to hang!)
If you want a super sharp statement interior, build a new house.

Whenever I've seen very expensive homes on television, they seem to have been commissioned by people with no inagination or taste whatsoever with interiors to match.

The Burj al Arab hotel is a case in point. When I saw photos of one of the rooms and it's bathroom I was amazed at how cheap it looked considering how much (or more probably because of how much) gold had been used.

Not sure how apocryphal this quote is but I think Dolly Parton once said something like "it costs a lot of money to look this cheap".

My wife and I moved from Northern California to Indiana because we got tired of paying $500 a month to live in an old 250 square foot school bus; we couldn't afford an apartment. We're now paying $586 a month to buy a 1244 square foot house.

Well, here in Belgium, in Knokke Zoute, there are also houses with prices around EUR 50 million. And that is not a big town, just a fishery village that grew out of its bounds.

I get it: 10M
You did put a comma there £9,950 m so I'm guessing it's £9.950m? You might use commas differently--I can't be sure.
Using commas in place of a decimal place (and a decimal place in place of comma) is standard in parts of Europe, it does occasionally lead to confusion I,e, thinking a listed price is a unit price (1.056 EUR when actually it’s a total price as they have used a decimal in stead of a commas as a thousands separator and mean 1,056 EUR for the lot).

Moving back on topic yes we have insanely overpriced houses in the UK as well, but even outside of the mansions in parts of the UK prices are relatively speaking insanely expensive a two bedroom terrace house in Jericho in Oxford (an area that would traditionally be know as the wrong side of the tracks) can be yours for a mere £650,000.

Latest posts

Back