‘Appalling and disturbing’: Video emerges of revellers burning ‘sick’ Grenfell Tower effigy (VIDEO)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I heard about this earlier but had not seen the video, there are some sick ******* in this world.

Video - https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1059460933913923584

Depicting a bonfire garden party, a group of unidentified individuals can be seen placing a homemade model of the North Kensington tower block above a fire. The building was destroyed by a rapidly-spreading fire in June 2017, killing more than 70 people, many of whom were trapped in the upper floors of the building. Some of these residents had called fire services only to be advised to stay in their homes until firefighters made their way to them and cleared a safe evacuation path.

As the cardboard model of the tower block begins to burn, the group of men and women can be heard laughing. One man appears to mockingly say, “stay in your flat” as he re-positions the effigy above burning hot coals. “Help me, help me,”another man shrieks, apparently in jest, as the fire climbs the paper model.

https://www.rt.com/uk/443141-grenfell-bonfire-effigy-outrage/

Last edited:
Nothing ceases to amaze me these days, the mentality of some people, they need some sort of punishment for this IMO.

poor taste for sure. however the people needing punished are those making the decisions that lead to poor peoples safety being ignored for the sake of a few quid. a bad joke is a bad joke, im sure the idea was a badly understood version of the idea of burning a 'demon' or something unliked, which, if you think about it isnt much worse than celebrating the horrific torture and murder of an actual human being, which is what our traditional family fun is. again, i think it was a crappy idea and thing for sure and i doubt id like the people that did it, but really its harmless. compared to the council cuts and general lack of empathy of the government that actually causes peoples death for the sake of saving some taxes for the rich of this government. in fact, i'd go so far as to say i couldnt care less when put into a broader, ie, newsworthy context.

having said that, i only now watched the video (classic internet poster, me) and i see it is a fantastically racist bunch of god durned idiots, and i retract my defense of their intentions, although my broader opinion stands. i guess the point is if we all get too upset about these kinds of thing we lose track of the people actually having an effect on the world and making the environment these idiots thrive in

One lady commented they didn't need punishing. Instead, she reasoned beyond my temperament, that they instead needed to be educated.

Taught what is right and wrong, what is horrible and what is good. Shown what love and compassion mean, shown compassion in the hope that they might find compassion within themselves.

I wonder, had they been in this sort of tragedy themselves, met the people who survived but lost, talked to them... could the hateful mob burning that effigy still feel the same?

If so, they don't need to be part of the society that decent people hope to live in. :/

One lady commented they didn't need punishing. Instead, she reasoned beyond my temperament, that they instead needed to be educated.

Taught what is right and wrong, what is horrible and what is good. Shown what love and compassion mean, shown compassion in the hope that they might find compassion within themselves.

I wonder, had they been in this sort of tragedy themselves, met the people who survived but lost, talked to them... could the hateful mob burning that effigy still feel the same?

If so, they don't need to be part of the society that decent people hope to live in. :/
the thing about society is its got a lot of cretins in it. the trick is keeping it bearable despite that eternal fact.

55 and 49 years old :roll:

Five men have been arrested on suspicion of a public order offence in connection with a model of Grenfell Tower being burned on a bonfire.

A video shared on social media shows a cardboard model of the tower being set alight by a laughing crowd.

The Metropolitan Police said the men - two aged 49 and the others aged 19, 46 and 55 - handed themselves in at a south London station on Monday night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46106224

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46106224

"The men have been arrested under section 4a of the Public Order Act 1986, which covers intentional "harassment, alarm or distress" caused via the use of "threatening, abusive or insulting" words or signs."

I am no lawyer, but I don't think the law would be effective if they can show that it was done in a totally private location. It might be that as it was filmed and published that it is illegal. Which would be paradoxical as the whistleblower, who tagged police in the publication on social media could have technically casued the breach.

Any which way, they are hateful, racist thugs that need re-educating.

They are sick, and what they did was appalling. I'm glad they have handed themselves in and are rightfully getting pilloried for it. That said, the greater injustice was when an executive decision was made to clad Grenfell in flammable materials, and not maintain the building to a safe level, in order to pocket a few bob. They should also be facing criminal proceedings.

I believe the people concerned have been released without charge (at the moment). As gross as their disgusting antics were, if this does result in a charge, then I think it sets a dangerous precedent. One careless stupid joke in a pub, one politically incorrect text to a mate. Where does it stop?

Freedom of speech is/was one of the greatest things about this country and it feels as if it's being slowly eroded every day.

Being as thick as pig's sh*t is not an offence, which in many ways is a shame as these low-life would clearly be bang to rights.

I believe the people concerned have been released without charge (at the moment). As gross as their disgusting antics were, if this does result in a charge, then I think it sets a dangerous precedent. One careless stupid joke in a pub, one politically incorrect text to a mate. Where does it stop?

Freedom of speech is/was one of the greatest things about this country and it feels as if it's being slowly eroded every day.

Being as thick as pig's sh*t is not an offence, which in many ways is a shame as these low-life would clearly be bang to rights.
I agree, its really a matter of you don't have a right to not be offended by something you don't have to watch. The guys there are idiots but nothing they did is encouraging hate except maybe against themselves. Rowan Atkinson sums it up well here

I agree, its really a matter of you don't have a right to not be offended by something you don't have to watch

You do not have to watch but when you watch BBC news and the headline story is "Grenfell Tower bonfire: Police search property" its difficult to avoid, with luck this may make the "thick as pig s**t" amongst us think of the consequences of their actions as i don't suppose those who did this expected the video to be put online for the world to see.

You do not have to watch but when you watch BBC news and the headline story is "Grenfell Tower bonfire: Police search property" its difficult to avoid, with luck this may make the "thick as pig s**t" amongst us think of the consequences of their actions as i don't suppose those who did this expected the video to be put online for the world to see.
I don't disagree with you, I think the fact these people have been condemned in the media etc is in itself punishment and a warning to others and like Rowan said more speech about it has resolved the issue and no legal proceedings are needed. Do you agree?

Some good points made. Yes a tasteless, mindless act by stupid people...a bad joke as someone says.
It'll happen again...and again. Mostly behind closed doors or in close circles where bad jokes,bad videos etc are the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't disagree with you, I think the fact these people have been condemned in the media etc is in itself punishment and a warning to others and like Rowan said more speech about it has resolved the issue and no legal proceedings are needed. Do you agree?

I think it would be difficult to charge them (as has been said) "being as thick as pig's sh*t is not an offence" so for me they have had their punishment and with luck they will learn from it.

Back