1.2 Mbps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There is a huge internet outage in my area today several towns are effected so i am using my phone in USB feathering mode which allows me to still use the PC, the phone is not showing 4G but H+ i assume because everyone is using their phones so we all suffer slowdown, it feels like being back on dial up. :mad:

It's amazing how little you can do without the internet these days. We had a power cut in the winter and really enjoyed sitting in the living room with the fire on and doing a crossword by candlelight.... until we needed to look up word finders on the internet 🤔

It's amazing how little you can do without the internet these days

Soot on.

We take for granted the high speeds we get i am genuinely shocked at how slow this is i have had closed all the tabs for sites that are media heavy as it was killing the connection.

I am now missing the 1.2 Mbps i had earlier. :laugh8:

1652798918220.png

6 Mbps used to be pretty hot. Technically you can run Netflix on that speed.
The internet company's always trying to upsell us (100, 200, 300 Mbps). We're paying for 50 Mbps which is nearly the lowest available.
Every time I get the itch to have those higher speeds, I have to remind myself that 6 Mbps actually works fine.

That would drive me crazy.

I am on a capped 80/20 Mbps package and always get speeds over 70 Mbps so yes its driving me crazy.
Watching my monthly allowance counter rapidly diminishing is also not helping.
According to reports on Downdetector it went off at 00:35 so it must be something major.

The Broadband companies are like politicians they usually deny it is effecting you and blame other issues like actually using it wireless yes wireless or the router is in a different room or you have 2 many things pulling off it :laugh8:

This was 7 hours ago -

CUSTOMERS on Sky Broadband are facing internet connection issues.

Some residents have been experiencing issues since midnight.

The Sky Help Team have said the issue is due to a fault at the local exchange.
Replying to a concerned president a spokesperson said: We are working closely with our partners to resolve this as soon as possible. We don't have a timeframe available but you can check for updates on the link above."

After being contacted by residents on social media, a Talk Talk spokesperson said:
"This is being investigated by engineers and we hope to have services restored as soon as possible."
We will keep you updated.

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/20143781.customers-sky-broadband-facing-internet-connection-issues/

Its not looking good i may have to turn the PC off and talk to SWMBO i then risk getting my spuds chewed off if i interrupt her TV viewing, what a day. :laugh8:

On Tuesday afternoon, replying to a concerned resident a spokesperson for Sky said: "We are working closely with our partners to resolve this as soon as possible" and that they did not have a timeframe available for when the issue would be fixed.

RESIDENTS have experienced a broadband outage which has lasted most of the day.

Broadband providers including Sky, Talk Talk and BT have said they were 'aware' of an outage and working as fast as possible to fix the issue.

Residents spent most of the day without broadband, some saying that they had experienced issues since midnight on Monday.
The Sky Help Team have said the issue is due to a fault at the local exchange.

A spokesperson said: "We are currently aware of an ongoing outage in the Dalton-in-Furness area. We are working really hard to get this resolved as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."
On Tuesday afternoon, replying to a concerned resident a spokesperson for Sky said: "We are working closely with our partners to resolve this as soon as possible" and that they did not have a timeframe available for when the issue would be fixed.

Cumbria Chamber of Commerce's managing director Susan Cadwell said: "This is a problem for people if they are working from home.
"Homeworking is a really good part of the toolbox and people can be really productive working from home and it also helps with staff retention and work-life balance but it does need reliable internet.
"It will never be perfect as there are always things that will go wrong, what people need is fast and reliable internet because if you haven't got that it is just not feasible and then that has a knock-on effect for the individuals and the business that they work for because people need to have the staff working.
"Everything is reliant on the internet now and people are very limited in what they can do without it, it does grind you to a halt."
Affected residents took to social media to share their anger at the outage.
Marion Brockbanks said: "Well. It's been a quiet day here, no Internet, no TV which requires Internet, no online study for my daughter who's in uni, hope it's sorted soon."

Mike Last said: "Our Internet (sky) has been off since this morning, ended up at my inlaws using the BT connection in barrow, this worked fine all morning and went down about lunchtime. I'm back home now and sky Internet is still not working."
Lee Thompson said: "It's crazy in town, not many doing card payments, some bank machines not working."

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/20144922.spokesperson-said/

Last edited:
I remember getting this in my steam downloads years ago. I think it was lying

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220517-195209.jpg
    Screenshot_20220517-195209.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 8
What a difference a day makes, it came back on earlier this afternoon its not back to normal speed but i assume it will speed up over the next few hours. (if it doesn't i can live with 60 Mbps) ;)

What is DLM?
DLM, or “Dynamic Line Management”, is the BT Openreach system used to control the speed and stability of Fibre Optic Broadband (FTTC) connections. Fibre Optic Broadband (FTTC) services from Zen will prioritise speed over stability within thresholds defined by the DLM system.

When a service is first provisioned the DLM system will not act for 48 hours. After this time it is likely to be at its most active as it finds the best balance between performance and stability for your line; this should typically result in speeds similar to the estimate provided to you when you ordered the Fibre Optic Broadband service.

1652798918220-png.68538
. .
1652883076724.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back