1/2" SS Ball valves £2.92 on Amazon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought this was a pretty good deal - anyone bought these yet? Free delivery too, not sure if that's just for prime members or not.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M61STHY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The valve body looks like a single piece. Is that right or can you get these apart? If not, how are you going to get it apart to thoroughly clean it? After reading this I feel somewhat vindicated in spending the extra on a 3-piece that easily comes apart with a small spanner into all its component bits. I got around to cleaning mine 3 weeks after brewday and it was *still* wet inside the ball and plastic seals. Not good if gone un-noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
Run your cleaning solution through the tap and then rinse - simples!
I don't think that will work. The way the ball valve is designed is that there is always a void that is trapped between the ball, the metal wall and the two plastic washers. When you turn the valve it dumps liquid into the void as it moves around. It's hard to describe but really easy to see when you've got the whole thing in bits. Maybe, possibly with the handle at 1/8 of a turn you could get it into a position where the voids can dry out. You certainly don't want to leave it wet because that's where the mold comes from.

Hi @foxbat
I've had no mould problem in any of my one-piece ball valves.
I think that you will find that many members use one-piece ball valves without any problems.

When you dismantle your valve can you actually remove the ball from its seating?
EDIT - found a You Tube video showing a 3-piece being disassembled.

Last edited:
You could sterilise these valves in boiling water. PTFE is good for at least 200 deg C. Set the valve handle half open (45 degrees) and when the valve is removed from the boiling water, residual heat should evaporate the water in the void space around the ball. That Amazon valve could be dismantled - one seal has a hexagon for an Allen key. The stem will pull out when the gland nut is loosened.

Here's a cross-section of a similar one-piece ball valve, showing the threaded seat retainer on the right of the ball.

BB101.-d.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back