1.5 Wine Bottles for Beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michking

Reaction score
The bane of my existence is bottling - so have got some new 1.5l bottles off ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271087043918&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
@£2 each but worried now they are not up to standards due to pressure.

The bottles take a standard sized cork, the same as a 75cl wine bottle. (I have plastic tops I plan to use - also have champagne cages if there is any question about these staying on...)

Internal diameter of neck - 22mm
External diameter of neck - 29mm (this is difficult to measure as it has a rounded edge)
External diameter of base - 95mm
Thickness of glass (measured from the neck) aprox 3mm
Height - 355mm
Weight - 900g

Anyone have any thoughts on using these? 1.5 l is about right for an evening session I thought but worried the bottles may become bombs :)

I'd say you're right to be concerned, they're just standard wine bottles scaled up - they are not intended to take the pressure of a carbonated drink like beer - you could make some still cider to go in 'em

oh.. figured cider would be same pressure? We plan to do some next year so will save the bottles for that. thanks!

But i'll still try one just to see - will wrap in a cloth in case in blows up!

(and use a few for our sloe gin) :)

Don't try it exploding bottles are not fun even if they are wrapped up. You could seriously heart someone.

If you are going to use them for still cider ie it has been treated with potassium sorbate and no sugar added then it would be fine but any form of yeast activity and the pressure will build up and those bottles will not hold.

Latest posts

Back