1 Barrel Brewery or 2?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
If you had a choice, which would you consider upgrading to if you found your Kilderkin sized brewery still wasn't cutting it for your's, and your girfriend's (and anyone else that drinks your booze) beer consumption versus available time to brew?

i'm trying to weigh up the pro's and con's between the two.... obviously the bigger you go, the cost of building and running it escalates exponentially also... and then there's the risk of making a large volume of beer that could go wrong and you have to send it to the drain... so the risk of cost per brew... i worked it out that it cost's me roughly £30 to make 150 pints on my kilderkin brewery... this would mean it would cost about £58 on a 1 barrel (288 pints), and about £115 on a 2 barrel (576 pints). and then there's the expense in extra kegs, bottles and a bigger fermenter!

swmbo and i get through 40-50 pints a week on average (damn her for liking my beers :twisted: )... it seems like a lot, but that's only 2 pints a each week night, and a small binge each at the weekends... plus whatever my mates drink when they're here and whatever i/we give to friends and fellow brewers! so as you can imagine, i need to brew at least once a fortnight on the kilderkin brewery if i want to build stocks up, or at least once every 3 weeks to maintain it!

unfortunately i've limited continous free time (ie enough of a day at home for a brewday) at the weekends and sometimes only get enough time to brew once a month... split brewdays on the kilderkin brewery involve quite late nights (even though i'm home by 4:45 every day ) as the additional volume means additional heating and cooling times.

so, what do you reckon guys? 1 barrel would last us roughly 6 weeks of drinking (which means i could build a stock of beers and only have to find time to brew once a month) ... 2 barrels would last us roughly 12 weeks... but seriously burn a hole in my wallet! and would take alot longer to accumilate cash for, but it would mean i only need to find time to brew once every 2/3 months (probably a bit too long tbh as i do actually like the brewday itself ;) ) but then ofc you can brew only 1 barrel on a 2 barrel brewery if you wish ;)

i'm stuck!... gimmie some more pros and cons!

Tell her to buy her own bloody beer! ;)

I've got the same problem now. I've introduced SWMBO to the delights of golden pale ales and she likes them, which is why I'm upgrading to 50-60l brewlength. I don't think I'd go as far as having a full barrel though. Although I'm quite happy brewing every fortnight - I do a lot of drinking in the pub as well so I suspect your brews go faster than mine.

It's an awful lot of beer to chuck if it goes wrong.

But it could be sooooo shiny.

i'm still weighing it up lol...

to give everyone an idea of how much booze it is... i can currently fill 4 cornies in one go on my 100L (actually brews about 85L) brewery... 1 barrel will fill about 8.5 cornies in one go... 2 barrels will fill 17!!!! :shock:

Have you considered what might in the not so long term actually be a better alternative

STOP DRINKING SO BLOODY MUCH!

You are heading down the road of serious health issues if you continue . . . while you are young (and you are a whippersnapper ;)) your body can 'cope' with the abuse, but you are laying down problems for the future . . . I know a couple of brewers in the "2 pints a night, and a sesh" at the weekend brigade, that were told by the Doc . . . If you don't stop drinking you are going to die! . . . . One did, and is now back to a normal brewing and drinking life . . . the other didn't . . . Have you seen the waiting list for a liver transplant?

I'm brewing at the same qty as you, and am thinking of scaling up to a 1BBL . . . If I do that it will be because of two things . . . One I have brewers to give wort away to, or, I'll be making Fresh Wort Kits for sale . . . and only keeping 20L for myself . . . otherwise I'm going to stick at the same size . . . a house brew lasts me 4 months so I don't brew all that frequently . . . with the 20L plant I will brew more frequently to have a bigger variety of beers . . . but still drink at the same boring rate 1/2 a pint a night over a week

Yeah, I am a Boring Old Fecker!! Want to make something of it? :lol:

this is true...

2 pints a day i suppose would be ok by the board of health if it weren't almost always over 5%... and without a weekend binge aswell :oops:

i keep meaning to brew lighter beers... honestly!.... i just keep overshooting my gravity :rofl: :drunk:

i've almost made up my mind.... i'm leaning towards 1BBL... probably not this year though but if i come across some stainless 200L containers going cheap... i may snap them up :cool:

The problem is not making beers, but storing them properly :(
You will need cellaring conditions BS, to store/keep the beers properly, and corny's, though nice, will be a very expensive way of keeping them in those sorts of volumes.

2 pints a day i suppose would be ok by the board of health if it weren't almost always over 5%... and without a weekend binge aswell

I've drunk with you, and 2 pints @ 5% is a binge....for you :rofl: ...pulls tongue emoticon :D

I've pondered the same question BS. For me I'm hedging towards maintaining 'kilderkin' size 'house brews', and making smaller batches of 'other' beers. Life would be boring if we drank the same brew all the time....we can go to the supermarkets if that's all we require :cheers:

I think this sensible drinking thing is a crock of ****.

I had a mate who binge drunk everyday of his life. He was the life and soul of the party most of the time. He enjoyed every single day of his 27 years.

Agree with Vossy, my brewing routine this year is going to be to sometimes brew a 60L batch of a 'house beer' (just lately giving 20L of that away) and sometimes doing a smaller batch of something different. The recent Traditional IPA that I brewed being an example. (I did squeeze 40L of another beer from the mash that time though).

Brewstu, there is an alternative, brew your house beer stronger and dilute to volume get an og of 1075 form your kilderkin then dilute to 1050 to ferment. 50% more beer for same effort, then you can drop it to once a month and brew some specials as smaller batches.

unfortunately i'm limited by my mash tun... the only way i'll get a gravity higher than 1.55 out of the boiler is if i brew in smaller batches. i'm actually brewing with a thick mash to get 1.050 + as it is!

Latest posts

Back