1 can or 2 can brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r_Mark

Reaction score
Hi people just a quick couple of questions is brewing 1 can with half the water 20 pints the same as using 2 cans for 40 pints and do you use half the amount 250g spray malt and half sugar 250g ?

Nope. Not the same. If you brewed to 20 pints with a can I wouldn't use any spraymalt or sugar at all as you'll have the fermentables you need just with the kit.

You will be doubling the bitterness but I've done it loads of times, even brewing kits down to 2 gallons and I never thought they were anywhere near too bitter. That includes Geordie Bitter, John Bull Bitter and TEA.

Nope. Not the same. If you brewed to 20 pints with a can I wouldn't use any spraymalt or sugar at all as you'll have the fermentables you need just with the kit.

You will be doubling the bitterness but I've done it loads of times, even brewing kits down to 2 gallons and I never thought they were anywhere near too bitter. That includes Geordie Bitter, John Bull Bitter and TEA.
So just 20 pints of water in a 40 pint kit does this make the beer as good as a premium kit or close to one

Wilko one can kits are £12 for forty pints. If you brew to 20 pints to would get a better beer and better value by brewing a two-can kit to 40 pints!

Wilko sell Woodfordes Wherry for £20.

Last edited:
Wilko one can kits are £12 for forty pints. If you brew to 20 pints to would get a better beer and better value by brewing a two-can kit to 40 pints!

Wilko sell Woodfordes Wherry for £20.
Hi thanks for the info but I can get cans cheaper online and it depends how much you drink I dont every day anymore so 20 pints would last me some weeks and 40 would last months i may try the woodford but at one can at 20 pints a time with different yeasts and maybe some spray malt in one .

Hi thanks for the info but I can get cans cheaper online and it depends how much you drink I dont every day anymore so 20 pints would last me some weeks and 40 would last months i may try the woodford but at one can at 20 pints a time with different yeasts and maybe some spray malt in one .
Some members might be interested in where you can get really cheap one cans online.
And you could buy a two can kit, and brew one can at a time at 20 litres. Apart from two cans Wherry comes with two packets of yeast (or at least used to)

Brew2Bottle have some for under £10. As do KegThat plus there's a forum discount for extra 7% off.

I guess it depends if you have a Wilko nearby or not to compare the petrol v postage price.

Also for OP. If you don't drink much that just means the beer will age more before you drink it 🍺.

Brew yer 1 can kit to 4 gallons instead of 5 and add half the sugar. Used to do it all the time. No noticeable extra bitterness, better quality beer and gets rid of `homebrew twang'.
And you still end up with 30 odd bottles of beer.

Beer keeps well and often improves over weeks and months. So, if you have room, it's better to brew more each time for the same effort.

Latest posts

Back