10 L AG First Time Brew Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23602

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a go.

I've been edged on by a friend mainly because he would like a small 10 L batch of beer for a specific event in May/June.

I won't be buying additional equipment, so will be an on the hob job, using basic methods for a post I was linked regarding giving AG a go for the first time.

However, he has asked for it to be a hazy New England styled session IPA around 4.5% ABV with exotic fruit flavours such as mango, passionfruit etc.

Can anyone here help me with a recipe and perhaps some general guidance on getting this done for the first run and then I can start tweaking it before May/June so I'm eventually happy with it.

Many thanks,

Grizzly

Last edited:
This is probably slightly unhelpful but reading up on the style the recurring theme is that it's horrendously susceptible to oxygen so doesn't bottle well. Otherwise, there's a few good thread in the recipe subforum here, including a Hazy Jane clone thread which should help a lot.

Good luck.

Download diydog and look up Cybernaut and East Coast Crush. Pretty much exactly what you're looking for. These beers go brown/purple within weeks unless you keg.

Download diydog and look up Cybernaut and East Coast Crush. Pretty much exactly what you're looking for. These beers go brown/purple within weeks unless you keg.
I think the Brewdog recipes may be the way forward, just a ale it down. Why do they go brown and purple? Is there very cheap way to keg?

I think the Brewdog recipes may be the way forward, just a ale it down. Why do they go brown and purple? Is there very cheap way to keg?

Oxidation. I suppose it depends what you consider to be cheaper, but honestly? There's no cheap way to keg and dispense. I stopped brewing NEIPAs because of the dreadful deterioration within a very short period of time. Very disheartening to brew a delicious, and expensive, beer for it to turn to **** within weeks. Kegging made a huge difference, but it's a heavy price to pay.

Oxidation. I suppose it depends what you consider to be cheaper, but honestly? There's no cheap way to keg and dispense. I stopped brewing NEIPAs because of the dreadful deterioration within a very short period of time. Very disheartening to brew a delicious, and expensive, beer for it to turn to s**t within weeks. Kegging made a huge difference, but it's a heavy price to pay.
I suppose if I get a practice run or 2 in... I could judge the final batch and bottle. The 5L will be drank in one night after all.

Suggestion is a powerful thing (plus I have a slightly wicked streak).....

First of all I suggest you forget about doing an actual NEIPA.....

Not that there's anything wrong with them, but as others have said they're a PITA to get right as far as I can tell.....

Instead, just brew a West Coast AIPA - choose your hops carefully and you'll get the flavours you want (I also saw something the other day on here about priming with mango juice).....

For a 4.5% beer keep the IBUs fairly low (35-40ish), and keep the BU:GU ratio balanced - I actually have the 2nd iteration of an AIPA like this on the go at the moment that I just dry hopped.....

You'll more then likely get loads of hop haze from dry hopping, so you can just claim it's a hazy IPA exactly in the NE style - assuming your mate isn't a BJCP judge then a quid says he won't notice the difference! :laugh8:

Good luck and have fun! athumb..

Latest posts

Back