100% varietal juice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I emailed Youngs early last week but won't hold my breath waiting for a reply, so.........

Does anyone know if the actual grape component of their Cellar 7 kits are actually 100% varietal? I'm thinking of Shiraz, Merlot and the like rather than generic reds. I know there's water and sugars in there too but do they add other grape juice? Other kits I've seen at a similar price point do actually claim that the juice is 100% varietal with sugar and water added.

Thanks in advance to those in the know. Tom

Even if they are they will not be the best quality of grape the vineyards have to offer, they would be used to produce their own wines.

I do understand that but it's not an issue for me. I'm very easily pleased when it comes to red wine. So far I've only found the cheapest kits to be lacking in both flavour and body. For me the 5 (ish) litre kits are my minimum. Yes, the Beaverdale and California Connoisseur kits have turned out a better wine, I'm yet to drink the Kenridge classic that I made a while ago. I'm sure it'll be better again but as an easy drinking pleasant drop Cellar 7, Australian Blend and the like are hard to beat.
The "black box" kits that several retailers sell are advertised as 100% varietal so was wondering if they would be worth the little extra cost over the Cellar 7? Hence the query 🍷

Cheers. Tom

Latest posts

Back