100g yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuffer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, i bought 100g of yeast thinking it would do me over the summer but now im not sure what i can do with it once ive opened the packet. So, assuming i use 10-20g of it in a brew, can i just reseal the pack to save the rest of it or pour it into a sealey bag or would that render it contaminated?

I am no expert but I believe you can reseal and freeze it but I am sure the experts will pop up and either confirm or not

I seal things back up with an iron or the sealer function on my vac sealer and put them in the freezer. They'll stay viable near indefintely. I'm using packets that are nearly 5 years old.

Just reseal the bag. I normally make a 600ml starter with 1g of yeast (for 10L of wort) . So a 20g pack lasts me ages. I just reseal the pack with selotape and put it in the freezer

I seal things back up with an iron or the sealer function on my vac sealer and put them in the freezer. They'll stay viable near indefintely. I'm using packets that are nearly 5 years old.
Told you the experts would pop up

BTW a set of hair straightening irons works perfectly for this. Don't tell the wife though.

Considering that, in the early days, dried yeast used to come in a tub, I'd just weigh out what you need and tape up the bag again. In fact I once had a box (500g) of S-04 and I used it for years before throwing the last of it away. I just got fed up of it and wanted to try some other yeasts.

Latest posts

Back