10L Carboy / Demijohn Problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
I found this at the link below and it arrived today. The mouth of the bottle is around 34mm.
This looks great, BTW, and just what I was looking for to age the odd high strength beer. If I were to do such regularly, say twice a year or so, I think a Parti-Gyle approach in the GF would be favourite.

https://do-it-at-home.co.uk/en/glass/234-10-liters-glass-carboy-demijohn.html

As I want to age beer in it, and beer has this annoying tendency to carry on fermenting, whilst maturing, I favour storing under an airlock. The Carboy comes with a quite tight fitting plastic lid and the site has a selection of bungs with airlock holes predrilled. I might be being stupid here (and SWMBO tells me often that this is frequently the case!) but I don't see a clear and simple solution.

I think I want ideally a bung that has a diameter of 40- 42mm at the bottom and a bit more than 45mm at the top.

Does anyone have any ideas? The site I bought it from has bungs, but not one obviously suitable (to me).

Last edited:
The beer I have at the moment is a clone of Old Peculier, which came out at 1.073 - so a version more from the past than the present.

It was racked at 2 weeks old last weekend and I doubt it will spoil in another week in secondary.

I think I have now found one (a bung that is). Should be here by the 6th of December. That should work fine.

Hi @Slid
I know this is too late, but have you considered boring the plastic lid and adding a grommet?
I did this with my plastic FV lids.

Yes I have thought of this, though the DIY stuff tends to be done by SWMBO - she owns the electric drills etc.

Hopefully all will be well!
Thanks for your input, Bigcol49 and Beercat.

OK, so I got a suitably sized bung in the end and now the carboy holds just over 10L of an Old Peculier clone.

Latest posts

Back