12L keg and soda stream C02

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhomebrew

AKA - RobsHomebrew
Reaction score
So I have a 12 Litre keg on order, I will be using the Soda Stream C02 bottles...

My question is, will I be able to force carbonate with the SS gas and still have enough to dispense my 12l keg?

TIA

So far as I understand, a full SS bottle should have 60litres of gas in it, so should be plenty to force carb and dispense a 12L keg
I don't think that is what the 60L means. I think that sodastream's "60L" means "enough co2 to carbonate 60L of water". I don't know how much co2 that actually is. A native guess of 2-3 volumes of co2 for carbonated water would then give 120-180L of co2, but that then ignores the co2 in the headspace of the bottle that escapes when you release the bottle.

I use this keg setup, but have a fermzilla allrounder to do most of the carbonation for me prior to transfer. Before I got the fermzilla I found force-carbing used up CO2 cylinders quickly, so you might want to consider using some priming sugar instead.

In answer to your question though, you will have enough gas.

So, @RobsHomebrew just to summarise: the answer is YES you've probably have enough gas to carb and serve two 12L kegs.
As others correctly point out this makes it a rather expensive solution, but as you're limited on space it might still be a decent way for you to do it.
Longer term you might want to look at getting a small pub-type cylinder athumb..

So, @RobsHomebrew just to summarise: the answer is YES you've probably have enough gas to carb and serve two 12L kegs.
As others correctly point out this makes it a rather expensive solution, but as you're limited on space it might still be a decent way for you to do it.
Longer term you might want to look at getting a small pub-type cylinder athumb..
What's the smallest size pub cylinder I can buy? Also how much am I looking at? Lastly where's best to purchase from?

What's the smallest size pub cylinder I can buy? Also how much am I looking at? Lastly where's best to purchase from?

Stop listening to the “how expensive Sodastream CO2 is” and start listening to “how convenient Sodastream CO2 is”!

As far as I am aware, NONE of the people offering the “how expensive” it is travel around in a motorhome!

Personally, I use the system and I have never noticed that it is horrendously expensive, but I have always recognised how convenient it is to replace the cylinder when the CO2 runs out. (I actually have three cylinders.)

To minimise the usage of CO2, and not being in any hurry, I tend to carbonate one 10 litre keg with sugar and force carbonate the second one at 5psi.

So, how many 10 litre kegs can I get out of a single Sodastream cylinder? I will say “at least five”!

The “60 litre” promised by Sodastream is to carbonate 60 litres of a soft drink and (as far as I am aware) this is more than the 5psi that I carbonate my beer to.

Enjoy NOT having to hump around a pub sized CO2 cylinder!
:hat:

The “60 litre” promised by Sodastream is to carbonate 60 litres of a soft drink and (as far as I am aware) this is more than the 5psi that I carbonate my beer to.
I was completely unaware of that, thank you. I always assumed it was the volume of CO2 gas in liquid form in the cylinder.
I totally agree on the convenience front. I use the sodastream to move beer around, cold crash under pressure and if I'm out and about to run a mini keg. And now you mention it, the first bottles lasted for ages.

The cylinders that I use are 6.3kg (of gas) and last me about 18months. They are about 80cm high by 120cm diameter, but I believe you can get half sized ones.

It might be useful for you to have a browse through this thread: Sensible first time keg advise sought
I see that on that, @MmmBeer says (about half way down the first page):
you will end up using up a cylinder for every couple of brews. Despite their small capacity, SS cylinders are almost as costly to exchange as 6.3 kg cylinders.
I'm afraid that when it comes to finding the cheapest place to get them, it depends on where you are in the country and you are a long way off my patch. But as a guide I pay £30 for a refill.
You often have to pay a returnable deposit on the first cylinder (of about £30) and of course you need a regulator too unless you're planning to just 'burp' the gas in.

Last edited:

You can get 10L cylinders from online retailers: CO2 Food Grade Gas | Topgas CO2 | 10 Litre | Air Products

Might be worth shopping about, I was trying to get one back in January but supply was limited and I ended up going with someone local. Delivery seemed expensive but it is gas which is regulated.

There's also the possibility of having a larger cylinder and refilling the soda stream cylinder yourself, I've got one myself but haven't used it... If I remember correctly it was here I was reading up on it.

Stop listening to the “how expensive Sodastream CO2 is” and start listening to “how convenient Sodastream CO2 is”!

As far as I am aware, NONE of the people offering the “how expensive” it is travel around in a motorhome!

Personally, I use the system and I have never noticed that it is horrendously expensive, but I have always recognised how convenient it is to replace the cylinder when the CO2 runs out. (I actually have three cylinders.)

To minimise the usage of CO2, and not being in any hurry, I tend to carbonate one 10 litre keg with sugar and force carbonate the second one at 5psi.

So, how many 10 litre kegs can I get out of a single Sodastream cylinder? I will say “at least five”!

Ahhh awesome. I appreciate your input... And I'll definitely Stick with the soda stream... I'm going to take the assumption some people aren't aware of what I live in 😅

You don’t carbonate in a motor home, just dispense so a bit of a moot point.

Carbonate with bulk gas, dispense with the soda steam. Then refill it when you get home from your doner bottle.

Carbonate with bulk gas, dispense with the soda steam. Then refill it when you get home from your doner bottle.
Er … I think the lad actually lives in his motorhome!

It’s not that unusual as SWMBO and myself lived in one for about three years and we didn’t own a house!

Before that we lived in a boat and after the motorhome we lived in a caravan.

We didn’t even have a vote never mind a “home” in which I could carbonate brews!

Yeh I live in my motorhome full time... I'll be using the Soda Stream gas to carbonate and dispense... I'll see how I get on with the soda stream.

Just a few tips:
  1. Every time you do anything check for leaks. (I use a pastry brush and a mixture of water and Fairy Liquid in a Spray Bottle.) Take your time as some leaks are really slow!
  2. Write the direction to turn the Regulator to OFF somewhere visible. (My last screw-up was turning the Regulator to maximum and finishing with a glass of foam!)
  3. Before attempting to change cylinders, turn the Regulator to OFF; and then screw the Regulator on to the new cylinder quickly. (All you should get is a “Phttt” if you do it right.) After changing cylinders always check for leaks.
  4. Try to carbonate at 5psi. Mild and Bitter are fine at this pressure but a Lager or IPA may be better at 10psi. (Obviously, the higher the pressure the more CO2 you use.)
I use “Quick Connect/Disconnect” (QC/DC) connections between the Regulator and the Kegs; with the female end of the QC/DC on the Keg side. (*) They are designed for gas and (so far) haven’t leaked.

(*) The female end of the QC/DC has a non-return valve (NRV) fitted within it, so no CO2 is lost when changing kegs or cylinders.

I think that about sums up my tips.

Enjoy.

Er … I think the lad actually lives in his motorhome!

It’s not that unusual as SWMBO and myself lived in one for about three years and we didn’t own a house!

Before that we lived in a boat and after the motorhome we lived in a caravan.

We didn’t even have a vote never mind a “home” in which I could carbonate brews!

Apologies, wrongly presumed he was taking his homebrew on his holidays!

Back